LEXINGTON, Ky. (Oct. 3, 2012) – Fans can experience the sights and sounds of Keeneland even before the gates open for the race day at Sunrise Trackside every Saturday morning during the fall meet, which begins Friday and goes through Oct. 27.
[pullquote_left]“Mornings are a great time to be at the track; it’s a very different atmosphere from an afternoon at the races. We have activities for both the early-riser as well as those fans who come later in the morning, all designed to give fans an ‘insider’s view’ of Keeneland.” — Christa Marrillia, Keeneland Director of Marketing[/pullquote_left]
It’s a morning of fun tailor-made for families and out-of-town guests, featuring Breakfast with the Works, Kids Club activities, self-guided tours of the racetrack, pictures taken with Bucky the Bugler, handicapping seminars, jockey question and answer sessions, and more!
“Mornings are a great time to be at the track; it’s a very different atmosphere from an afternoon at the races,” said Christa Marrillia, Keeneland Director of Marketing. “We have activities for both the early-riser as well as those fans who come later in the morning, all designed to give fans an ‘insider’s view’ of Keeneland.”
Keeneland invites fans to enjoy all the morning’s activities, which will be conducted rain or shine:
– Breakfast with The Works – Sponsored by Dunkin Donuts and WLEX 18. Watch the horses during their morning works while enjoying a Southern-style breakfast buffet in the trackside Equestrian Dining Room from 7 to 8:30 a.m. Breakfast is $7; children 3 and under free.
– Kid’s Club – Join us in the Kid’s Club Corner from 7 to 9 a.m. for free children’s activities, including photos in jockey silks, face painting and more. Sign up for the Keeneland Kid’s Club and meet Kid’s Club mascot, Buckles. Enjoy crafts and exhibits from the Explorium of Lexington in the tent adjacent to Equestrian Room.
– Paddock Demonstration – Each week, Keeneland highlights a different aspect of the equine industry with demonstrations in the Paddock at 8:45 a.m.
– Tours – Pick up a walking tour guide in the Paddock between 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. to learn more about Keeneland’s historic grounds. Guides will be positioned throughout the property to answer questions.
– Photos with Bucky – Have your picture taken with Keeneland’s legendary bugler, George Sallee, or “Bucky” as fans know him. Bucky will be in the Paddock for photo opportunities from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
– Handicapping Seminar – Join us trackside at 11:30 a.m. for a free handicapping seminar.
– National Anthem: Patrons are invited to come to the Paddock for a live performance of the national anthem each Saturday.
– Jockey Q&A – Learn more about favorite jockeys – from their most memorable ride, to how they prepare for a race, to what’s on their iPod – at 12:05 p.m. in the Paddock.