LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Dec. 13, 2013) – Do you know a teacher that deserves an “A+” for engaging parents, children and educators in the learning process? If so, now is the time to nominate them for the Toyota Family Teacher of the Year Award and the chance to win $20,000 for their school or non-profit program.
The National Center for Families Learning, together with long-standing partner Toyota, has announced a call for the nation’s best teachers in engaging families in education.
As awareness and recognition of the vital role the family plays in learning development grows within the education community and beyond, the Toyota Teacher of the Year award has evolved in its 17th year to become the Toyota Family Teacher of the Year Award. In the spirit of celebrating and encouraging that vital role, NCFL and Toyota will honor a teacher’s school or program that exemplifies bringing families into the education process with a $20,000 prize to further efforts engaging parents, children and teachers in learning together. Eligible teachers can engage families in schools or other non-profit community organizations serving an educational purpose.
Whether through a creative use of technology or a novel approach to intergenerational engagement, every nominee will be a catalyst for improving how families learn together. This year, NCFL and Toyota will also give thanks to a second prize winner for exemplary work with a $5,000 award, double the amount of previous years. The winners will be announced in February at the Families Learning Summit & National Conference on Family Literacy 2014 to be held in Washington, D.C.
Eligible family educators:
- Are exceptional at engaging families in their school or community-based organization; formal teaching credentials not required
- Use and champion innovative intergenerational approaches to help parents and children learn together
- Have a demonstrated record of success
- Have exciting ideas to expand and strengthen their family engagement efforts
- Serve communities and families with high literacy and socioeconomic needs
- Would be successful at communicating successful practices to educators and families across the nation
How to apply:
To recognize a teacher’s role in engaging parents and students positively with a school or program to improve student achievement, use this online nomination form. Nominations will be accepted through Jan. 10, 2014.