FRANKFORT, Ky. – Tourism agencies in Kentucky will be taking part in National Travel and Tourism Week, which runs through May 13.
The week in May is recognized by the U.S. Travel Association each year to celebrate and promote the tourism industry. It was first established in 1983.
Here are some of the events and activities planned during National Travel and Tourism Week in Kentucky:
Kentucky’s eight travel welcome centers, operated by the Department of Travel and Tourism, will promote National Travel and Tourism Week with artisan demonstrations, live music performances, highway safety programs and presentations by area tourism attractions. For more information on specific activities, contact the travel department call center at 1-800-225-8747.
The centers, located on interstate highways near the state’s borders, are situated in Boone County (Florence), Bullitt County (Shepherdsville), Carter County (Grayson), Christian County (Hopkinsville), McCracken County (Paducah), Shelby County (Shelbyville), Simpson County (Franklin), and Whitley County (Williamsburg).
In honor of National Travel and Tourism Week, several Kentucky State Parks are offering special rates for lodging and admission. They include:
• Blue Licks Battlefield State Resort Park at Mount Olivet is offering a couples retreat that features a lodge room and two meals for $99.95 plus tax during the month of June. The park is also offering mini-golf for $1 during June.
• Natural Bridge State Resort Park at Slade is offering lodge rooms for $49.95 plus tax on May 8-10 and lodge rooms for $59.95 plus tax on Sundays May 13, 20 and June 3, 10, 17, 24. Call 1-800-325-1710.
• Columbus-Belmont State Park in Columbus is offering mini-golf for $1 on May 8.
• Wickliffe Mounds State Historic Site in Wickliffe is offering special admission for $1 May 9-12.
• Green River Lake State Park will offer mini-golf for $1 May 7-11.
• Barren River Lake State Resort Park is offering a second night’s stay for just $1 in the lodge or campground through May 13. Get a room for one night and dinner for two for $79.95 Sunday through Thursday, good through June 30.
• Big Bone Lick State Park is offering mini-golf for $1 for all kids 12 and under, along with a free souvenir from the gift shop through May 12.
• Lake Barkley State Resort Park is offering lodge rooms for $59.95 a night Sunday through Thursday through May.
• Kenlake State Resort Park is offering lodge rooms for $59.95 a night and one-bedroom cottages for $99.95 Sunday through Thursday through May, excluding May 27.
• Greenbo Lake State Resort Park is offering $1 mini-golf, 10 percent off boat rentals, lodge rooms for $49.95 Sunday through Thursday and $59.95 Friday and Saturday, and half price child buffet with adult purchase, all through Labor Day.
• Pine Mountain State Resort Park is offering lodge rooms for $39.95 on Sunday and Thursday if you stay the weekend. Also for Sunday through Thursday, buy one night get one free. Good through Memorial Day.
Call the park to make reservations for these lodging rates. Visit www.parks.ky.gov for more information. For more information about travel in Kentucky, visit the Department of Travel and Tourism website at www.kentuckytourism.com.