Bring your financial acumen, strategic thinking, and leadership skills to a place that impacts communities across the country. At The Council of State Governments (CSG), you work alongside passionate professionals who support state governments with policy research, analysis, and technical assistance.
CSG makes sure state officials have what they need to be successful. Similarly, we will ensure that you have what you need to be successful. CSG is a national organization with support from 250 employees at its national office and regional offices across the country.
We are seeking a Chief Financial Officer, which reports directly to the CEO, to provide strategic financial analysis and assessments that inform decision making and position the organization for
growth. The role includes detailed involvement in developing and managing the business model, budget, and financial status of all components of the organization.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the role currently involves a combination of remote and in-office work, including some travel to other office locations and member meetings throughout the year. At the national headquarters office in Lexington, Kentucky, we intend to be back in the office full-time later this year. Our Lexington office is located across from the Kentucky Horse Park and alongside the Legacy Trail.
Some of the key responsibilities of the CFO include:
- Serving as a member of the CSG senior leadership team directly engaged in organization-wide operations including strategic and budget planning, forecasting, development of strategic partnerships, and other opportunities to achieve the mission of CSG.
- Serving as a mentor and manager to CSG finance and accounting members, providing them with the leadership, support, collaboration, and guidance to create and foster a professionally satisfying work culture.
- Working with the CEO and CSG senior leaders to strategically position the organization for growth.
- Creating, implementing, and maintaining the financial strategy of the organization.
- Developing and monitoring financial goals and KPIs.
- Leading and managing the annual operating and capital budget process, consistent with the priorities of the senior management team, that strategically funds success.
- Assuring compliance with all conditions, policies and procedures, laws, rules, and regulations for the acceptance, administration, and expenditure of grant funds, including obtaining unqualified clean audits and providing timely responses to federal audit requests.
- Using technology to enhance transparency, efficiency, and productivity.
- Other duties as necessary and assigned
- Bachelor’s in business, accounting, finance, or a combination of education and relevant financial experience.
- Ten or more years of related experience with a strong preference for experience in project-based accounting and nonprofit organizations.
- CPA and/or CMA preferred.
The following behaviors have been identified as critical to all leadership roles at The Council of State Governments:
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Work cooperatively and collaboratively with others toward the accomplishment of shared goals.
- Value Diversity: Recognize and embrace the unique talents and contributions of others.
- Service Orientation: Desire to serve and focus one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of internal and external customers.
- Achieve Results: Drive to achieve and continuously look for improvements. Accept responsibility for actions and results.
- Organizational Alignment: Ability to align people, processes, and organizational structure with CSG’s strategic direction.
- Develop Others: View people, their knowledge, and their capabilities as assets and provide opportunities that allow employees to continuously learn and develop.
- Communication: Practice attentive and active listening and can restate the opinions of others. Communicate messages in a way that has the desired effect.
- Integrity: Seek to achieve results in the best interest of CSG and its member states while reinforcing ethical and professional behavior throughout the organization.
Interested candidates must complete the online application and include their resume and cover letter. The website for application information is https://csg.applicantpro.com/jobs/1741819.html.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to characteristics including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.