FRANKFORT, Ky. — The first building constructed as part of Kentucky State University’s campus will receive nearly $500,000 in renovations as part of a recent Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) grant program, funded by the Historic Preservation Fund, and administered by the National Park Service (NPS), Department of Interior.
Jackson Hall, formerly known as Recitation Hall, was the first and now-oldest building on the Kentucky State campus. Jackson Hall was constructed in 1887 for $7,000.
The $494,850 grant is part of the NPS initiative of $9.7 million in grants to assist 20 preservation projects for historic structures on campuses of HBCUs in 10 states. Since 1995, the NPS has awarded $77.6 million in grants to 66 HBCUs. Congress appropriates funding for the program through the Historic Preservation Fund (HPF).
Eligible costs for the grants include pre-preservation studies, architectural plans and specifications, historic structure reports, and the repair and rehabilitation of historic properties according to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.
For more information about the grants and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities program, please visit http://go.nps.gov/hbcu.
Click here for more Kentucky business news.