LEXINGTON, Ky. (Sept. 7, 2012) – Buyers from across the United States and around the world are converging Monday on Keeneland for the opening of its prestigious September Yearling Sale.
Keeneland has catalogued 3,604 yearlings for the 11-day sale, which runs through Friday, Sept. 21. The entire sale will be streamed live at www.keeneland.com.
The September Sale has earned a global reputation for offering unique and extraordinary individuals at every level of the market; borne out by an unparalleled track record. Since May, 57 September Sale graduates have won 63 graded or group stakes. Among these “summer” victories are signature wins by I’ll Have Another (Kentucky Derby-G1 and Preakness-G1); To Honor and Serve (Woodward-G1); Believe You Can (Kentucky Oaks-G1); Dullahan (TVG Pacific Classic-G1); Paynter (Haskell Invitational-G1); Game On Dude (Hollywood Gold Cup-G1); Contested (TVG Acorn-G1 and Test-G1); Executiveprivilege (Del Mar Debutante-G1); Elusive Kate (Prix Rothschild-G1); and Emma’s Encore (Prioress-G1).
“It’s been thrilling to watch the success of our September Sale graduates,” said Walt Robertson, vice president of sales. “Nineteen Grade or Group 1 winners to date this year; the Derby and Preakness; the Kentucky Oaks; divisional stars, and now the emerging two-year-olds, such as Executiveprivilege, Shanghai Bobby, Know More and Kauai Katie. It’s understandable why the world shops at Keeneland.”
A hallmark of the September Sale is the depth and breadth of its stallion roster, with yearlings representing many of the world’s most fashionable sires. In 2012, yearlings by 239 stallions have been cataloged.
Highlighting the first week’s offerings will be 15 yearlings from the final crop of champion sire A.P. Indy, who was pensioned last year. Nine A.P. Indy yearlings are cataloged in Monday’s opening select session.
Other top sires of yearlings cataloged in Book 1 are Bernardini, Broken Vow, Candy Ride (ARG), Curlin, Danehill Dancer (IRE), Distorted Humor, Divine Park, Dixie Union, Dynaformer, Elusive Quality, Empire Maker, Galileo (IRE), Giant’s Causeway, Hard Spun, Henrythenavigator, Indian Charlie, Kitten’s Joy, Lemon Drop Kid, Malibu Moon, Medaglia d’Oro, Montjeu (IRE), Mr. Greeley, Pulpit, Sea the Stars (IRE), Smart Strike, Speightstown, Street Cry (IRE), Tapit, Tiznow, Unbridled’s Song, War Front and Zensational.
Yearlings representing such established sires as Arch, Awesome Again, Duke of Marmalade (IRE), Invincible Spirit (IRE), Pivotal (GB), Raven’s Pass and Shamardal, are cataloged in September, as are yearlings by such promising freshman sires as Colonel John, Conduit (IRE), Dunkirk, Einstein (BRZ), Kodiak Kowboy, Old Fashioned, Pioneerof the Nile, Pyro and U.S Ranger.
Of the total 3,604 yearlings cataloged, 1,852 are colts, 1,750 are fillies and 2 are geldings.
2012 Sale Format
Book 1 is a select sale of 132 yearlings scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. ET, Monday, September 10. Book 2, to be conducted Tuesday through Thursday, Sept. 11-13, will offer 915 yearlings (305 per day). Sessions begin at 11 a.m. daily. Book 1 and Book 2 will comprise a single catalog.
Friday, September 14, will be a “dark” day in which no selling will take place.
Book 3 begins Saturday, Sept. 15; sessions start at 10 a.m. daily through remainder of the sale.
Racing fans can follow all the September Sale action via Facebook and Twitter @keenelandsales using #keesept. September Sale barn notes, session updates and daily wrap-up releases will be posted on Keeneland’s social media sites as well as its website, www.keeneland.com.
Keeneland provides a number of innovative tools that offer convenience, facilitate the sales process and deliver up-to-the-minute information to our clients and the media.
– Keeneland Pedigree offers expansive online catalog pages for horses listed in Book 1, featuring links to race records, charts and race replays, and free daily updates.
– The Consignor Portfolio enables clients to manage their consignment information online, with the ability to update all contact and account information; submit and track paperwork; receive alerts about your horses before, during and after sale; and print account summaries and statements on demand.
– Keeneland Portfolio allows buyers to maximize valuable information about horses cataloged and sold at Keeneland. This tool assists with managing and updating personal account information; creating “short lists” of horses for each sale and establishing alerts for those horses; and access to current and historical account and sale information.
– The Equineline Sales Catalog app for the iPad can be downloaded free from the App Store on iPad or at iTunes. This unique app loads sales catalogs to your iPad and enables you to highlight catalog pages in color; assign ratings; make conformation notes; record veterinary information; create “short lists;” and perform various catalog searches.
– Keeneland’s newly remodeled website offers a stakes-winning sales graduates list that is now sortable and downloadable for ease of use.