FLORENCE, Ky. — Gateway Community & Technical College’s diversity recruiter Latavia Walker has been selected to participate in the African American Chamber of Commerce’s EMERGE leadership development program.
“We are proud of Latavia and are excited for this opportunity for her,” said Dr. Fernando Figueroa, Gateway president. “The knowledge she will gain through the EMERGE program will not only help her to succeed at Gateway, but she will be able to pass on her knowledge to our student populations to help them achieve a better life.”
The EMERGE program is an educational and developmental leadership program for African American young professionals in the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky region. Participants in the program learn:
- The importance of mentoring, developing and working your network;
- Elevator speech preparation;
- Presence, professionalism, and impact
- Developing confidence negotiating your pay;
- Seizing opportunities to advance your career;
- Overcoming career obstacles, roadblocks and other pain points;
- Managing conflict resolution; and
- Civic engagement.
EMERGE, a five-month program, launches virtually in August 2020 and consists of two classes per month.
Learn more about Gateway Community & Technical College at gateway.kctcs.edu.