This bourbon resulted from Buffalo Trace Distillery in fall 2015 launching an interactive website (www.yourperfectbourbon.com) designed to encourage fans to share their favorite ideas about a perfect bourbon whiskey. Two years later, 2017, more than 100,000 had participated and the results were amazingly similar. In response, Buffalo Trace released a new product to offer fans what they were asking for: a wheat recipe bourbon, aged 8 years on the top warehouse floors and bottled at 90-99 proof. This crowd-sourced brand, called Weller C.Y.P.B., is short for Craft Your Perfect Bourbon.
Bourbons from Buffalo Trace Distillery also received nine medals at the 2021 World Whiskies Awards, including two Gold medals, two Silver medals and five Bronze medals.
Bourbons receiving Gold medals:
- Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Small Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- W.L. Weller Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Bourbons receiving Silver medals:
- Eagle Rare 10 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- W.L. Weller 12 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Bourbons receiving Bronze medals:
- Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Stagg Jr. Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- W.L. Weller Special Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- W.L. Weller Antique 107 Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- W.L. Weller Full Proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
“We are honored to accept these medals and thrilled our Weller C.Y.P.B. was awarded so highly,” Master Distiller Harlen Wheatley said. “As a crowd sourced bourbon, what this tells us is that our fans have great taste! The feedback we receive from our fans is taken very seriously, so it’s great to see that effort rewarded.”
Whiskies in each category were subject to blind tastings in a three-round judging process to reward and promote the world’s best whiskies to consumers and trade across the globe. The winners from the World Whiskies Awards America 2021 will now compete with counterparts from all over the world, and global winners will be announced in March. For more information about the World Whiskies Awards visit www.worldwhiskiesawards.com.
Family-owned Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, Ky., includes such brands as E.H. Taylor Jr., George T. Stagg, Albert B. Blanton, Orville Schupp, and Elmer T. Lee. It produces bourbon, rye and vodka on site and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.