LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The Kentucky College of Art + Design (KyCAD) recently announced five new members to the Board of Trustees.
“Each new member of the Board of Trustees brings individualized experience and expertise and a diverse background to our college,” KyCAD President Moira Scott Payne said. “We look forward to continuing to build on KyCAD’s strong educational foundation with these great Louisville leaders at the helm.”
- Barbara Sexton Smith served as Louisville’s 4th District Metro Councilwoman until January 2021 and currently serves as the Campaign Chair to elect Craig Greenberg as Louisville’s next mayor. Sexton Smith is a Simmons College of Kentucky Trustee, a KyCAD board member, and the founder of the Barbara Sexton Smith Education Enhancement Endowment Fund. She has helped raise more than $220 million in philanthropy funds whilst working with Fund for the Arts, Metro United Way, Olmsted Parks Conservancy, National Conference for Community and Justice, West Louisville Boys and Girls Choirs, Community Hunger Walk, and many others.
- Elizabeth Perry Spalding is a graphic designer and principal of the award-winning 21 Skye Design. Spalding works with small businesses, nonprofits, and fine artists and independent publishers to create brand design and print identity collateral including book projects, annual reports, exhibition catalogs, brochures, and websites. Spalding serves as a Director of AIGA Louisville (American Institute of Graphic Arts), is a member of the Speed Art Museum Board of Governors, and is a Sponsor of the Louisville Photo Biennial.
- Yamilca Rodriguez is a Brand Strategist and TEDx speaker who worked as a Principal Design Manager for the Procter & Gamble Company for 13 years and has since started her own consulting business, focusing on strategic branding and design. Rodriguez brings relevant experience to her new board position as the founder of Louisville Bespoke, a fashion-centered community that supports designers and creatives with an annual fashion showcase. She also teaches a Design Thinking and Business Innovation course at the University of Louisville and is involved with the National Society for Hispanic MBAs and Fund for the Arts.
- DeVon Hankins joins the KyCAD Board of Trustees with a background in strategic planning, business operations, and project management. Hankins brings extensive experience directing cross-functional business teams in areas such as finance, marketing, and agri-business. She’s also accumulated more than 25 years of leadership experience within military, federal, state, and local government fields. Hankins has led and provided oversight for social programs, management systems, regulatory practices, and legislative agendas. Currently, she is the CEO of Ascension Strategies, a strategic performance firm dedicated to coaching start-ups in scaling their enterprises and mid-level professionals desiring to transition to an advanced role or new career.
- Joshua Watkins is the executive administrator for the Office of Performance Improvement at Louisville Metro Government and brings expertise in real estate and community development to the KyCAD Board of Trustees. Watkins has worked at Louisville Metro Government for over seven years where he’s led efforts in urban revitalization, project management, public safety, and performance improvement. He is also involved with the Friends of the Waterfront Board.
Each new board member was nominated by a member of the Louisville community and will serve KyCAD through 2024. To learn more about members of the KyCAD board of trustees, visit https://www.kycad.org/about/.
Click here to download the individual headshots of the new Board of Trustees.
Click here for more Corporate Moves.