Commission’s 23 members, led by Lt. Gov. Abramson, to develop recommendations to revitalize state’s tax code
FRANKFORT, Ky. (March 2, 2012) – Gov Steve Beshear’s Blue Ribbon Commission on Tax Reform will hold its first meeting Tuesday, March 6. The Commission, led by Lt. Gov. Jerry Abramson, will begin examining how best to realign Kentucky’s tax code.
The meeting will be at 12:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Office Building, 200 Mero St., in Frankfort. A series of meetings has been scheduled around the state throughout the next several months.
The Commission will work to develop recommendations to make the state’s tax code more responsive to the ups and downs of the economy, as well as to make taxes more equitable for Kentuckians. The revisions should allow for tax revenues that are adequate to address the needs of the state’s citizens and businesses.
In 2011, the national Tax Foundation ranked Kentucky 19th best in the nation both in its business tax climate and in the growth rate of new jobs over the past year. Another recent report by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce ranked Kentucky eighth in the nation for taxes and regulations, and 12th for job growth over the past two years. Despite those high national rankings, Gov. Beshear said the state has room to improve its tax code in order to encourage economic growth.
Gov. Beshear announced the commission’s members on Feb. 9. A complete list of members, as well as information on the commission’s goals, is available at http://migration.kentucky.gov/Newsroom/governor/20120209taxcommission.htm
The commission’s recommendations are due to the Governor by Nov. 15, 2012.
Dates and host cities for the remaining Commission meetings are below, as well as locations for the April and May meetings. Specific locations in remaining cities will be announced in advance of all meetings. All times are local.
- Tuesday, April 10, 1 p.m., Capitol Annex, 702 Capitol Ave., Room 154, Frankfort
- Tuesday, May 8, 1 p.m., Capitol Annex, 702 Capitol Ave., Room 154, Frankfort
- Tuesday, May 29, 6 p.m., Paducah
- Tuesday June 19, 6 p.m., Bowling Green
- Tuesday July 10, 6 p.m., Louisville
- Tuesday July 24, 6 p.m., Covington
- Tuesday Aug 7, 6 p.m., Prestonsburg
- Tuesday Aug 21, 6 p.m., Lexington
- Wednesday, Sept 19, 1 p.m., Frankfort
- Tuesday Oct 2, 1 p.m., Frankfort
- Thursday Nov 8, 1 p.m., Frankfort