EMPLOYER COSTS FOR EMPLOYEE COMPENSATION
DECEMBER 2011 Private industry employers spent an average of $28.57 per hour worked for total employee compensation in December 2011, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Wages and salaries averaged $20.14 per hour worked and accounted for 70.5 percent of these costs, while benefits averaged $8.43 and accounted for the remaining 29.5 percent. Total compensation costs for state and local government workers averaged $40.90 per hour worked in December 2011. Total employer compensation costs for civilian workers, which include private industry and state and local government workers, averaged $30.45 per hour worked in December 2011.
Employer Costs for Employee Compensation (ECEC), a product of the National Compensation Survey, measures employer costs for wages, salaries, and employee benefits for nonfarm private and state and local government workers.
TO VIEW THE FULL RELEASE, CLICK HERE.