LOUISVILLE, Ky. (May 8, 2014) – Secretary Larry L. Roberts of the Kentucky Labor Cabinet joined employees and company officials in Louisville to recognize more than 50 Kentucky facilities for earning the Governor’s Safety and Health Award. Combined, the companies represent more than 8,500 employees and more than 67.5 million hours worked without a lost-time incident.
“Safety and health require discipline and responsibility, and those are things that don’t just occur by accident,” Roberts said. “The companies that have earned the Governor’s Safety and Health Award have shown a dedication to safety every single day, and that requires constant commitment and effort from everyone in each organization.”
The theme for this year’s Governor’s Safety and Health Conference is “exercise safety for a healthy workforce.” The conference featured pre-conference courses along with general sessions and concurrent workshops focusing on state of the art techniques, current issues, and trends in workplace safety and health.
The Governor’s Safety and Health Award program is part of Gov. Steve Beshear’s efforts to improve the health of all Kentuckians. The governor launched kyhealthnow in February as an aggressive and wide-ranging initiative to significantly reduce incidents and deaths from Kentucky’s dismal health rankings and habits. It builds on Kentucky’s successful implementation of health care reform and uses multiple strategies over the next several years to improve the state’s collective health.
The Labor Cabinet hosts the conference in conjunction with the Kentucky Safety and Health Network Inc., a nonprofit organization representing membership from business, education, government and labor with a mission to increase awareness of safety and health in the workplace.
The Kentucky Labor Cabinet presents the Governor’s Safety and Health Award in recognition of outstanding safety and health performance. An establishment may qualify for the award if its employees together achieve a required number of hours worked without experiencing a lost-time injury or illness. The required number of hours is dependent upon the number of employees.
Every establishment within the geographical boundaries of Kentucky is eligible, even if the establishment won the award the previous year. Eligibility is limited to one award during a 12-month period of time.
The award is a certificate that contains the signatures of Beshear, Roberts and Department of Workplace Standards Commissioner Anthony Russell.
For more on the Governor’s Safety and Health Award, and for a list of past winners, click here.
The employer and employee groups who received this award since the 2013 Conference, along with the number of hours worked without a lost time injury or illness, include the following:
• AGC North America Elizabethtown Plant, Elizabethtown, 2,872,182 hours
• Air Products & Chemicals Inc., USW Local 727, Calvert City, 11,481,764 hours
• Alpha Mechanical Service Inc., Louisville Building Trade Affiliates, Louisville, 1,018,949 hours
• American Woodmark, Monticello, 1,159,148 hours
• Big Rivers Electric Corp. ET&S, IBEW Local 1701, Henderson, 254,406 hours
• Big Rivers Electric Corp. Headquarters, Henderson, 506,272 hours
• Big Rivers Electric Corp. D.B. Wilson Station, IBEW Local 1701, Centertown, 1,254,755 hours
• Big Rivers Electric Corp. Sebree Station, IBEW Local 1701, Robards, 1,000,722 hours
• Campbell Crossing LLC, Ft. Campbell, 1,012,696 hours
• Carhartt Customer Service Center, UFCW Local 227, Hanson, 1,139,109 hours
• Catlettsburg Refining LLC, USW Local 8-00719, Catlettsburg, 3,524,865 hours
• Clark Material Handling Company, Lexington, 301,878 hours
• Clark Material Handling Company, Louisville, 644,525 hours
• Daicel Safety Technologies America Inc., Beaver Dam, 561,505 hours
• Dyno Nobel Inc., Graham, 1,011,467 hours
• E.I. Dupont Louisville Works, Louisville, 790,563 hours
• Estron Chemical Inc., Calvert City, 409,695 hours
• Farmers RECC, Glasgow, 504,729 hours
• Hussey Fabricated Products, USW Local 1693-26, Eminence, 263,244 hours
• Interplastic Corp., Ft. Wright, 1,448,811 hours
• Jackson Purchase Energy Corp., IBEW Local 816, Paducah, 280,323 hours
• J-Lok Corp., Earlington, 445,075 hours
• Kenergy Corp., Henderson, 509,963 hours
• Kentucky Utilities E.W. Brown Generating Station, Harrodsburg, 4,431,489 hours
• Knox Hills LLC, Ft. Knox, 1,398,626 hours
• LG & E and KU, Louisville, 1,144,173 hours
• LG & E Trimble County Generating Station, IBEW Local 2100, Bedford, 579,355 hours
• Leggett & Platt Inc. Br-02, IAMAW Local 619, Winchester, 584,205 hours
• L’Oreal USA Florence Manufacturing, Florence, 3,596,672 hours
• L’Oreal USA Walton Distribution Center, Walton, 2,081,849 hours
• Madisonville West Side Wastewater Treatment Plant, Madisonville, 477,014
• Multi Packaging Solutions, Louisville, 848,079 hours
• Novelis Aluminum Corp., Berea, 2,024,330 hours
• NREC VMV Paducahbilt, IAMAW Local 123, Paducah, 500,760 hours
• Owensboro Municipal Utilities Elmer Smith Station, Owensboro, 277,293 hours
• Performance Pipe, Williamstown, 273,090 hours
• PIC Group Inc., Cane Run Facility, Louisville, 351,800 hours
• PIC Group Inc. E.W. Brown Facility, Harrodsburg, 329,663 hours
• PIC Group Inc., Ghent, 484,027 hours
• Raytheon Company, IAMAW Local 830, Louisville, 1,032,943 hours
• River Metals Recycling LLC, Ferguson, 369,839 hours
• Sargent & Greenleaf Inc., Nicholasville, 504,165 hours
• Schwan’s Global Supply Chain Walton DC, Walton, 439,470 hours
• Sekisui Specialty Chemicals America LLC, USW Local 727, Calvert City, 1,104,936 hours
• Stanley Black & Decker, Shelbyville, 1,403,568 hours
• Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems Inc., Edmonton, 770,820 hours
• Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems Inc., Scottsville, 1,225,699 hours
• Swift & Staley Inc., USW Local 550, West Paducah, 1,395,914 hours
• The Heritage Nursing and Rehabilitation Facility, Corbin, 1,039,976 hours
• The Terrace Nursing and Rehabilitation Facility, Berea, 1,956,431 hours
• Toyota Boshoku Kentucky LLC, Lebanon, 318,521 hours
• Treviicos-Soletanche JV, Jamestown, 1,341,385 hours
• URS Louisville Works, Greater Louisville Building & Construction Trades Council, Louisville, 3,319,898 hours
• Wacker Polymers, USW Local 727-04, Calvert City, 1,309,790 hours
• Westlake Vinyls Corp., IAMAW Local 2781 & USWA Local 727-02, Calvert City, 1,057,174 hours
• Zachry Industrial Inc., Louisville, 553,044 hours