Known for significant architecture
The Conrad-Caldwell house in the Old Louisville neighborhood dates to 1893-95 and is significant for its Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. Arthur Loomis, a local architect, built the house and incorporated such innovative features as indoor plumbing and electric lighting.
The Conrad-Caldwell House is also known for its woodwork and parquet floors, stained glass windows and elaborate stone designs, the house takes its name from the two prominent Louisville businessmen who owned it. Theophilus Conrad, a tannery owner, had it built. After Conrad’s death in 1905, William E. Caldwell purchased it. He manufactured wooden and steel tanks. The St. James Court Association has sponsored the marker. The association has owned the house since 1987 and operates it as a museum.
More than 2,200 historical markers statewide tell Kentucky’s history. For more information, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker Program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or [email protected].