Courses offered in Lexington from Aug. 25-28
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Aug. 19, 2014) — The Kentucky Labor Cabinet will hold free OSHA safety training courses from Aug. 25-28 at the Clarion Hotel in Lexington, at 1950 Newtown Pike. Courses offered include an overview of the Kentucky Occupational Safety and Health Program (KYOSH), respiratory protection, chemical hazard classification and labeling, bloodborne pathogen protection, powered industrial truck training requirements, recent changes in requirements for crane operators, injury and illness recordkeeping, and fire protection and prevention methods.
The courses include group-based and hands-on learning activities, and will feature presentations from Kentucky Labor Cabinet staff members.
To register online, click here.
Schedule of courses:
Monday, Aug. 25
- Overview of the Kentucky OSH Program: 8:30-11:30 a.m.: Topics of discussion include the operations of the KYOSH Program, including enforcement and voluntary compliance services, and safety and health topics currently considered for future standards and policies.
- Respiratory Protection: 1 – 4 p.m.: This course will discuss the various types of respiratory equipment available, the limitations and capabilities of the various types of equipment, and the elements of an acceptable respiratory protection program.
Tuesday, Aug. 26
- Hazard Communication/GHS: 8:30-11:30 a.m.: Attendees will learn about chemical hazard classification, written program requirements, container labeling, other forms of warning, safety data sheets and associated deadlines for the requirements under the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS).
- Bloodborne Pathogens: 1-4 p.m.: Topics of discussion include applicable definitions, infection control, engineering and work practice controls involving bloodborne pathogens, such as hepatitis B virus and human immunodeficiency virus.
Wednesday, Aug. 27
- Powered Industrial Trucks: 8:30-11:30 a.m.: Attendees will learn about the basic aspects of powered industrial trucks (primarily fork lifts), operator training requirements, safe truck operations (including traveling and safety belts), equipment modifications, and associated hazards.
- Crane Standard for Construction: 1 – 4 p.m.: This course addresses major training requirement changes which took effect on Nov. 8, 2010. The class provides a basic overview of mobile cranes, tower cranes and certifications requirements for crane operators. Topics also include requirements for riggers, electrical hazards and crane inspections.
Thursday, Aug. 28
- Injury and Illness Recordkeeping: 8 a.m.-noon: This course is for those persons responsible for maintaining the revised injury and illness records. The forms 300, 301, 300A will be covered. The regulations and guidelines for recordkeeping will be discussed, as well as the compliance directive the KYOSH compliance officer will use to evaluate a company’s records. A recordkeeping example workshop will be part of the course, time permitting.
- Fire Protection: 1- 4 p.m.: Participants will learn how to develop and implement effective emergency action and fire prevention plans, as well as maintain exit routes. Classification of fires, fire extinguishment methods, fire detection systems and employee alarm systems also will be addressed.