Home » Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation Receives Komen funding for Yes, Mamm! program

Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation Receives Komen funding for Yes, Mamm! program

Program provides free or reduced cost mammograms for the underserved

LEXINGTON, Ky. (April 23, 2015) – The Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation, part of KentuckyOne Health, has received a $33,650 grant from the Lexington Affiliate of Susan G. Komen to provide mammograms for the underinsured through the foundation’s “Yes, Mamm! Program.”
komen breast center 2015
The funding will benefit patients at Saint Joseph East. Saint Joseph Berea and Saint Joseph Mount Sterling also received grants. Since Komen Lexington’s inception in 1996, the Susan G. Komen Affiliate has contributed $92,514 to the Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation.

The Yes, Mamm! Program provides lifesaving screenings, patient navigation and travel assistance at no cost for those who qualify. Since 2012, the program has provided services to individuals throughout central and eastern Kentucky. One hundred percent of funding for Yes, Mamm! is spent on patient care for women and men across the Commonwealth.

Breast cancer affects 12 percent of women and is the second leading cause of cancer deaths among women in the U.S. Kentucky is estimated to have more than 3,000 invasive breast cancer cases diagnosed this year. Mammograms are the preferred diagnostic test to find breast cancer in its early stages and mammography is a critical tool in this early detection.

KentuckyOne Health facilities in Lexington now offer tomosynthesis, also known as 3-D mammography, which can be especially helpful in early diagnosis of breast cancer.

“So many women in our community go without regular mammograms and breast screenings because they lack insurance coverage,” said Kimberly Stigers, MD, radiologist. “This funding will help us be sure women receive the screenings necessary for early detection, which ultimately will save lives.”

The Susan G. Komen Lexington Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events, like the Komen Lexington Race for the Cure, the Lexington Affiliate has invested more than $4.7 million in community breast cancer programs throughout 58 counties to be used for screening, treatment, education, and quality of life programs. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the Eastern and Central Kentucky area, while the remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research at institutions like the University of Kentucky and University of Louisville.

According to the American Cancer Society, nearly 40,000 women will die of breast cancer this year alone. Death rates from breast cancer have been declining since 1989, which is believed to be the result of earlier detection through screening, increased awareness and improved treatment. Access to mammograms through programs like “Yes Mamm!” is vital to improving these statistics among the underserved.

Yearly mammograms are recommended for all women beginning at age 40. Mammography appointments are available by calling the Kentucky CancerLink at 1.877.597.4655 or KentuckyOne Health Breast Care at Saint Joseph East at 859.967.5613.

About Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation
The Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation, part of KentuckyOne Health, raises and administers funds to support the core values and mission of Saint Joseph Hospital, Saint Joseph East and Saint Joseph Jessamine RJ Corman Ambulatory Care Center.  One of the Foundation’s goals is to bridge the gap between medicine and compassion.  The Foundation is always looking for ways to assist those in need and is funded solely by the generous contributions. For more information, please call 859.313.1705 or saintjosephfoundation.org.

About KentuckyOne Health
KentuckyOne Health, the largest and most comprehensive health system in the Commonwealth, has more than 200 locations including, hospitals, physician groups, clinics, primary care centers, specialty institutes and home health agencies in Kentucky and southern Indiana. KentuckyOne Health is dedicated to bringing wellness, healing and hope to all, including the underserved.  The system is made up of the former Jewish Hospital & St. Mary’s HealthCare and Saint Joseph Health System, along with the University of Louisville Hospital and James Graham Brown Cancer Center. KentuckyOne Health is proud of and strengthened by its Catholic, Jewish and academic heritages.