Race is Saturday
LEXINGTON, KY (April 30, 2015) — Fourteen graduates of Keeneland sales are among the 22 horses entered in Saturday’s 141st running of the $2 million Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs. Approximate post time for the 1¼-mile race for 3-year-olds is 6:34 p.m..
Keeneland has sold 19 Kentucky Derby winners, most recently 2012 winner I’ll Have Another.
Keeneland sales graduates entered in the 2015 Kentucky Derby, limited to 20 horses, are:
- Carpe Diem (Giant’s Causeway-Rebridled Dreams) – The winner of Keeneland’s Toyota Blue Grass (G1) and Claiborne Breeders’ Futurity (G1) was sold for $550,000 to Northwest Stud at Keeneland’s 2013 September Yearling Sale. Bred by Coffee Pot Stable, he was consigned by Beau Lane Bloodstock, agent. Todd Pletcher trains Carpe Diem for Stonestreet Stables and WinStar Farm.
- Danzig Moon (Malibu Moon-Leaveminthedust) – Mark Casse, agent, paid $160,000 for the colt at the 2013 September Sale from the consignment of Four Star Sales, agent for breeder William D. Graham. Casse trains Danzig Moon for John C. Oxley.
- Dortmund (Big Brown-Our Josephina) – The undefeated Santa Anita Derby (G1) and Los Alamitos Futurity (G1) winner was offered at Keeneland’s 2012 November Breeding Stock Sale, where he was consigned by Bona Terra Stud. Emilie Gerlinde Fojan bred the colt, trained by Bob Baffert for Kaleem Shah.
- Far Right (Notional-Zindi) – Jon Jazdzewski purchased the Southwest Derby (G3) and Smarty Jones Stakes winner for $2,500 at Keeneland’s 2013 January Horses of All Ages Sale. He was consigned by Darby Dan Farm, agent for Nossab, which bred the colt with Patrick J. Crowley. Ron Moquett trains Far Right for Harry T. Rosenblum and Robert V. LaPenta.
- Firing Line (Line of David-Sister Girl Blues) – Arnold Zetcher owns the Sunland Derby (G3) winner, a graduate of two Keeneland sales. Paramount Sales, agent, consigned the colt to the 2012 November Sale, where he was purchased for $65,000 by GMEN Racing. Eddie Woods, agent, consigned him to Keeneland’s 2014 April Two-Year-Olds in Training Sale, and he was sold for $240,000 to Ben McElroy, agent. Simon Callaghan trains Firing Line, bred by Clearsky Farms.
- Itsaknockout (Lemon Drop Kid-Stormy B) – Elm Tree Farm, agent, consigned the colt to the 2012 November Sale, where Black Cherry Farm bought him for $130,000. Todd Pletcher trains Itsaknockout for Starlight Racing.
- Keen Ice (Curlin-Medomak) – Jerry Crawford, agent for owner Donegal Racing, purchased the colt for $120,000 at the 2013 September Sale, where he was consigned by Three Chimneys Sales, agent. The previous year, Four Star Sales, agent for breeder Glencrest Farm, consigned him to the November Sale, where Chesapeake Bloodstock bought him for $48,000. The colt is trained by Dale Romans.
- Materiality (Afleet Alex-Wildwood Flower) – Alto Racing owns the undefeated Florida Derby (G1) winner, sold to Venture Six for $260,000 at the 2013 September Sale. John D. Gunther bred the colt, consigned by his Glennwood Farm, agent. Materiality is trained by Todd Pletcher.
- Mr. Z (Malibu Moon-Stormy Bear) – Maynard Farm, agent for breeder Richard D. Maynard, offered the colt at the 2013 September Sale. D. Wayne Lukas trains Mr. Z for Zayat Stables.
- Ocho Ocho Ocho (Street Sense-Winner) – Taylor Made Sales Agency, agent for breeder Siena Farm, consigned the Delta Downs Jackpot (G3) winner to the 2013 September Sale, where he was purchased for $50,000 by Grassroots Training & Sales. Jim Cassidy trains the colt for DP Racing.
- Stanford (Malibu Moon-Rosy Humor) – WinStar Farm bred the colt, consigned by Lane’s End, agent, to the 2013 September Sale, where Dona Licha Stables bought him for $120,000. Todd Pletcher trains Stanford for owners Stonestreet Stables, Mrs. John Magnier, Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith.
- War Story (Northern Afleet-Belle Watling) – Brookdale Sales, agent for breeder Jack Swain III, consigned the gelding to the 2013 September Sale, where he was purchased by Nick de Meric, agent. Tom Amoss trains him for owners Loooch Racing Stables, Glenn K. Ellis and Christopher T. Dunn.
- Also-eligible: Frammento (Midshipman-Ginger Bay) – Bred by Mr. and Mrs. Oliver S. Tait, the colt was consigned by Blandford Stud, agent, to the 2012 November Sale, where he was purchased by Boulder Force Equine for $50,000. Nick Zito trains Frammento for Mossarosa.
- Also-eligible: Tale of Verve (Tale of Ekati-Verve) – Wavertree Stables, agent, consigned the colt to the 2014 April Sale, where he was sold to Six Friends Syndicate for $440,000. Dallas Stewart trains him for breeder Charles E. Fipke.
Other horses are:
- American Pharoah
- El Kabeir
- International Star