Eight-week workshop begins Tuesday
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Aug. 31, 2015) — Neighborhood Place locations in Louisville will offer an eight-week career readiness and professional development workshop geared towards women as well as multiple opportunities to strengthen physical and financial health for all genders and ages.
Schedule of events:
Find Your Balance
- Sept. 1 , 2–3:30 p.m. — Learn how to make healthy cooking and eating choices. Located at 1503 Rangeland Rd. Call 962-3175 to register.
Extreme Couponing 101
- Sept. 1, 8, 22, 29, 1–2:30 p.m. — Local coupling guru Kim Mapp will teach tips and money-saving ideas to help participants build extra financial wealth while grocery shopping. Located at 1411 Algonquin Pkwy. Call 634-6050 to register and for more information.
- Sept. 1, 15, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. — A Legal Aid Society staff member will be on hand to answer questions, talk about cases that Legal Aid handles and provide referrals. Located at 4255 Hazelwood Ave. Call 485-7130 for more information.
Couponing Support Group
- Tuesdays, 11 a.m. to noon — Learn tips and money-saving ideas to help build extra financial wealth in using coupons while grocery shopping. Located at 3610 Bohne Ave. To register and for more information call 485-6145.
WeCare Energy Efficiency Overview
- Sept. 2, 3, 9, 17, 23 — Representatives from the WeCare Program at LG&E will be on hand to talk with interested persons about energy efficiency, energy usage and tips to reduce utility bills. WeCare staff can also help determine if households are eligible for a variety of free services including air duct sealing and insulation, attic and wall insulation, programmable thermostats and much more. Call 1-800-356-5467 for more information. Sept. 2, South Jefferson Neighborhood Place at Valley High School, 10200 Dixie Highway, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept 3 and 17, Ujima Neighborhood Place, 3610 Bohne Ave., 10 a.m. to noon. Sept. 9, 23, South Central Neighborhood Place, 4255 Hazelwood Ave., 10 a.m. to noon
Healthy Journey for Two Educational Baby Shower
- Sept. 3, 15 — Seven Counties and KIDSNow will host these educational baby showers to share information on how to care for yourself and your baby during pregnancy. Participants will receive a colorful diaper tote bag filled with baby items such as a blanket, bottle, wash cloth and gas/gift card. Fathers are welcome but must be registered. Call 859-553-5305 to register or for more information. Sept. 3, Bridges of Hope Neighborhood Place, 1411 Algonquin Pkwy, 1–3 p.m. Sept. 15, South Jefferson Neighborhood Place at 1000 Neighborhood Place, Fairdale, 2-4 p.m.
Unite in White’ Staff Celebration
- Sept. 4 — All Neighborhood Place staff members are encouraged to wear white— or a combination of red, white and blue—on this daylong celebration to build morale, promote unity and celebrate their good work. Staff members will help capture the fun and celebratory spirit throughout the day and encourage you to post your photos on Facebook – NeighborhoodPlaceLouisville.
Financial Wellness Money Management Workshops
- Sept. 8, 15, 22 — Valerie Holland with University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension will provide ideas and steps toward having control over day-to-day and month-to-month finances, and having the financial freedom to make choices that allow one to enjoy life. Located at 3610 Bohne Ave. From 6-7 p.m. Call 485-6145 for more information.
Blood Pressure Checks
- Sept. 8, 10 a.m. to noon — Louisville Metro Department of Public Health and Wellness health educators will be on hand to provide free blood pressure checks. Located at 3610 Bohne Ave. Call 485-6145 for more information.
Shawnee Library Outreach
- Sept. 9, 23, 11 a.m.–1 p.m. — Children and adults will have an opportunity to check out books, apply for library cards and learn more about programs sponsored Louisville Free Public Library. Located at 3610 Bohne Ave. Call 485-6145 for more information.
Dress for Success, “Going Places Network”
- Thursdays, Sept. 10 to Nov. 5 — This eight-week career readiness training and financial literacy program is designed to help unemployed and underemployed women gain confidence and build critical skills through personal and professional development. All participants are provided professional attire, access to community resources via TARC tickets as well as assistance in creating vision boards, compiling resume and cover letters. Participates will also join mock interviews by high level human resource recruiters and hiring managers. Sessions include topics on Identifying Career Goals, Transferable Job Skills, Putting Your Best Face Forward, Elevator Speeches and Social Media Career Connections and Benefits. Space is limited to 20 participants. Located at 4018 W. Market St. Contact Valerie Daugherty at (502) 584-8050 or [email protected] to register.
Foster Care and Adoption Information Session
- Sept. 15, 6-8 p.m. — learn details on the requirements and process of how to become a foster or adoptive parent. Sponsored by Kentucky Cabinet for Families and Children. Located at 1503 Rangeland Rd. Call Sarah Willinghurst at 595-3274, EXT. 5539 to register. L
Ujima Neighborhood Place Autumn Open House
- Sept. 15, 3:30-5:30 p.m. — Talk one-on-one with partner agency representatives regarding programs at Ujima Neighborhood Place and receive information regarding future programs and workshops. Located at 3610 Bohne Ave. Contact 485-6145 for additional information.
Nutrition Education Class
- Sept. 21, 5:30–6:30 p.m. — Offered monthly on the first and third Thursdays, these sessions help kids and parents learn about healthy cooking, being active and losing weight as a family. Cooking supplies and other incentives are provided. Located at 1000 Neighborhood Place, Fairdale. Call 772-8588 for more information and to sign up for classes.
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Group
- Sept. 23, 1–2 p.m. — This resource/support group will meet on the fourth Wednesday of each month to focus on the unique issues that caregivers may have raising younger children. Aunts/uncles or anyone raising their grandchildren are welcome to attend (adults only please). Located at 3410 Lees Ln. Call 485-6811 for more information.
Financial Intelligence Workshop
- Sept. 24, 5-7 p.m. — Cane Run Neighborhood Place and KY Telco Federal Credit Union offer this financial workshop to teach a variety of skills to help you manage your finances. Located at Farnsley Middle School. Call 485-6826 to register.
Norton Mobile Unit
- Sept. 25, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. — The mobile unit will offer low/no-cost mammograms and wellness exams including pap smears for women over 40 years of age and cardiovascular screenings. Those with insurance are asked to bring their card and those who are uninsured, who reside in Jefferson County, may qualify for a no-cost screening. Screenings are provided for eligible women who have not been screened in the past year. Located at 4255 Hazelwood Ave. Call 899-6842 to make an appointment or for more information.
Caring for You and Our Community Health Fair
- Sept. 26, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. — NorthWest Neighborhood Place, KentuckyOne Health, University Hospital, and the James Graham Brown Cancer Center’s Diversity Committee invite you to participate in this free event to promote awareness of preventative care and better health in our community. Numerous exhibitors will be on-site to provide information on colon, prostate and breast cancer, mental health, Crohn’s and Colitis, brain injuries, organ donation by KODA, nutrition, stroke symptoms and medication education. Additionally on-site mammograms, flu shots, massages, acupuncture, glucose checks and screenings for blood pressure, cholesterol, Parkinson’s, stroke, bone marrow and kidney disease will be available as well as an opportunity to sign up for door prizes and enjoy a delicious free lunch. Located at 4018 W. Market St. Call 485-7230 for more information.