Features 22 Kentucky artists
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Oct. 6, 2015) — The Kentucky Arts Council will host Kentucky Crafted @ the Breeders’ Cup Festival during the KentuckyOne Health Breeders’ Cup Festival, Oct. 28-31 at The Livery, 238 E. Main St. in Lexington.
This curated shopping experience will feature fine art and craft by 22 top Kentucky artists, all of whom have either been juried into arts council programs or received grant funding from the arts council.
“This was a unique opportunity to showcase the outstanding work of our program artists, and we are proud to be part of this monumental effort to welcome visitors to central Kentucky,” said Lori Meadows, arts council executive director. “From painting to photography to fiber art to sculpture, there’s something for everyone’s artistic taste.”
Laura Prewitt, executive director of the Breeders’ Cup Festival, said Lexington is thrilled to bring Kentucky Crafted @ the Breeders’ Cup Festival to downtown Lexington.
“We couldn’t say we were putting our best foot forward for Breeders’ Cup visitors if we didn’t include the opportunity to see and purchase wonderful art by Kentucky artists,” said Laura Prewitt, executive director of the Breeders’ Cup Festival. “We’re very grateful to have the participation of the Kentucky Arts Council and its program artists in the festival, and we encourage Lexington visitors, no matter where you’re from, to stop and shop.”
Kentucky Crafted @ the Breeders’ Cup Festival is free and open to the public from noon-6 p.m. Oct. 28 and 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Oct. 29-31. The arts council will host a free brunch reception 9-11 a.m. Oct. 29, with many of the featured artists in attendance.
The show will be open 6-9 p.m. Oct. 28, 30 and 31 for patrons of the Kentucky Distillers Association’s Bourbon Backstretch. Tickets to the Bourbon Backstretch are available from the Kentucky Distillers Association, 502-875-9351.
Artists participating in Kentucky Crafted @ the Breeders’ Cup Festival are:
- Don Ament, Lexington, photography
- Dan Neil Barnes, Lexington, glass
- Katie Burke, Louisville, pastels
- Seth Green, Morehead, ceramics
- Marjorie Guyon, Lexington, painting
- Elsie Kay Harris, Lexington, painting
- Dean Hill, West Liberty, photography
- Eugene King, Stanton, wood art
- Judy Kushner, Georgetown, wearable fibers
- Matthew & Karine Maynard, Lawrenceburg, furniture
- Marianna McDonald, Lexington, pastels
- Peggy Modjeski, Louisville, fiber sculptures
- Kathleen O’Brien, Harrodsburg, painting and collage
- Rachel Savane, Lexington, jewelry
- Audrey Schulz, Louisville, fiber sculptures
- Helene Steene, Lexington, mixed media
- David Stratton, Owensboro, painting
- Julie Warren Conn, Lexington, marble sculptures
- Martha Wetter, Versailles, jewelry
- Maiken Young, Bedford, wearable fibers
- Laverne Zabielski, Monticello, wearable fibers
For more information on Kentucky Crafted @ the Breeders’ Cup Festival, contact Kate Sprengnether, arts council public art and design director, at [email protected] or 502-564-3757 ext. 471.