Awarded to Midway Christian Church
MIDWAY, Ky. (Oct. 8, 2015) — Midway University bestowed its inaugural Community Spirit Award to Midway Christian Church in recognition of the congregation’s spirit of vision, encouragement and giving.
“Midway University and Midway Christian Church have shared a strong bond since their earliest days,” said Midway President Dr. John P. Marsden. “In fact, Midway University is a result of the generosity and support of the church. Without the encouragement of his elders at Midway Christian, Dr. L.L. Pinkerton would not have founded the Kentucky Female Orphan School which has evolved to become Midway University.”
He added, “In its 180-year history, Midway Christian Church has gone on to support so many other people and causes in this community. That’s why we could think of no more fitting recipient to honor with the Community Spirit Award.”
The church dates back to the 1830s and has rich history of serving its community. Today, its members participate in:
- Food collection for the food pantry in Versailles
- Providing space for weekly meetings of Al-Anon and Alcoholics Anonymous
- Purchasing Christmas gifts for children whose parents are serving time at the prison in Lexington
- Many projects with Northside Elementary, including the Christmas Shoe Box Project, Loads of Love, and the Win-Win Tutoring program
- Supporting the Hope Center in Lexington, and administering the Midway Ministerial Fund which is supported by numerous churches in the community.
- Running a weekly clothing closet where price is no barrier for those in need
- Hosting monthly community dinners that provide hot meals to citizens on fixed incomes and allow attendees to engage in social activities
“When you look at the many ways the church and its members serve the community of Midway, Woodford County and the region, it is obvious that their community spirit is strong,” said Marsden. “We are pleased to present them with this much-deserved award.”
The Community Spirit Award will become an annual award presented during Midway University’s annual Day for Midway celebration, held each fall to celebrate the long-standing relationship between the institution and Woodford County.