For Fayette, Bourbon, Harrison and Nicholas counties
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Nov. 2, 2015) — Thousands of families with low-income in Central Kentucky can begin seeking energy assistance on Wednesday when the Community Action Council opens the subsidy component of its Federally funded Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). The LIHEAP Subsidy program provides a one-time benefit to eligible households to be used toward rising energy bills. The amount of the benefit is determined by income, household size, fuel type and geographic location
In 2014 the Council’s LIHEAP Subsidy program served more than 5,000 households and spent $611,872 to help keep families warm over the winter.
Community Action Council also sponsors several other assistance programs, such as the WinterCare Energy Fund supported by area utility companies and their customers. The Council spent $2.2 million through all of its energy assistance programming last year. Anyone at risk of losing their heat due to inability to pay should immediately contact one of the Council’s nine centers in Lexington-Fayette, Bourbon, Harrison and Nicholas counties. Information on available locations is listed below
Applicants must bring the following to apply:
- All household members Social Security card or Permanent Resident Card (if you have one). Photo ID of the head of household.
- Proof of income for the previous month for all adults 18 and older in the household.
- Most recent heating bill or verification from a landlord that heating expenses are included in rent. – a lease stating utilities included.
- Birth dates of all household members.
Applications are taken at all of the following Community Action Council locations between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday or, if needed, by appointment outside regular business hours:
- 913 Georgetown St., Lexington (859) 244-2215
- 1169 Winburn Dr., Lexington (859) 294-5249
- 1902 Cambridge Dr., Lexington (859) 246-1192
- 520 Toner St., Lexington (859) 554-4350
- 1317 Centre Pkwy., Lexington (859) 273-6395
- 540 East 3rd St., Lexington (859) 246-0220
- 1414 South Main St., Paris (859) 987-5277
- 216 Old Lair Rd., Cynthiana (859) 234-2121
- 149 Scrub Grass Rd., Carlisle (859) 289-7172
For more information on energy assistance programs, contact Community Action Council in:
- Lexington, (859) 233-4600
- Paris, (859) 987-5277
- Cynthiana, (859) 234-2121
- Carlisle, (859) 289-7172