First of eight showings on Dec. 13
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Dec. 8, 2015) — This month KET will feature a documentary about the building that houses Rupp Arena. “Gamechanger: The Lexington Center Story”will first air on Dec. 13, with eight showings scheduled through Dec. 28.
The film, an initiative of the Lexington Center board and senior management, tells the story of how a group of civic-minded individuals pursued a dream to create a beacon of culture and an economic engine in what was once a dying city core.
UK sports broadcaster Ralph Hacker narrates the film.
Lexington Convention Center, Rupp Arena and the Lexington Opera House are three of the most widely recognized entertainment venues in the region and collectively have more 1.3 million visitors annually.
The one-hour documentary program, produced by award-winning filmmaker Arthur Rouse, captures recollections and memories of 16 individuals who were instrumental in the creation and early development of Lexington Center.
The film covers the spark of an idea to build a bigger basketball arena and the plan to become one of the first design/build projects in Kentucky, which ultimately became an innovative design/build/invest approach to very creative financing that was “not an easy paper to sell.”
Participants in the documentary include:
- The “Alleycats” — DeWitt Hisle , Roy Holsclaw, Elbert “Eb” Ray
- Linda Carey , Jake Graves , William Hoskins, original Lexington Center Board members
- Thomas P. Dupree – Bonding Consultant
- Jack Givens – UK Basketball All-American
- Joe B. Hall – UK Men’s Head Basketball Coach 1972-1985
- Jim Host – First Executive Director
- Tom Minter – First General Manger
- Porter G. Peeples, CEO Lexington/Fayette Urban League
- David Petersen – Second Executive Director
- Foster Pettit – Former Mayor of Lexington
- Merrill Richardson – First Director of Facilities
- Byron Romaowitz – Johnson Romanowitz Architects
Gamechanger air dates and times:
- Dec. 13, midnight – KET KY
- Dec. 13, noon. – KET KY
- Dec. 15, 8 p.m. – KET KY
- Dec. 17, 6 a.m. – KET KY
- Dec. 17, 10 p.m. – KET2
- Dec. 20, 3 p.m. – KET
- Dec. 21, 4 a.m. – KET
- Dec. 28, 4 p.m. – KET KY