Applicants required to make an appointment
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Dec. 30, 2015) — The annual program that helps prevent low-income residents of Louisville from being disconnected from utility services begins Jan. 11, 2016.
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is administered by Louisville Metro Department of Community Services. The Crisis Phase of LIHEAP will run from Jan. 11 to March 31, or as long as available funds last.
Residents wishing to apply must have an appointment, which can be set up, in person only, between 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Jan. 7, and 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Jan. 8, at the Central LIHEAP Office, located at the Urban Government Center, 810 Barret Ave.
Applicants must be Jefferson County residents with a household income at or below 130 percent of the federal poverty guidelines (e.g. for a household of four, the gross monthly income cannot exceed $2,628). For the Crisis Phase, applicants must have received a brown, disconnection notice from their utility service provider, or an eviction notice if their utilities are included in the rent.
Applicants should bring a picture ID (if available), as well as the most recent LG&E bill (must be a brown bill), or an eviction notice if utilities are included in the rent.
Starting Jan. 11, appointments will be issued at all three LIHEAP offices listed below on weekdays 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., based on funding and appointment availability. Upon registering, residents will receive an appointment slip verifying the appointment date, time and location.
Offices (All LIHEAP offices will be closed Jan. 18, 2016 in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day):
- Central Office — Urban Government Center, 810 Barret Ave., Room 127, 40204; 502-574-1157
- East Office — Newburg Community Center, 4810 Exeter Ave., 40218; 502-574-1270
- (Note: The East Office is closed on Fridays for LIHEAP)
- South Office — Southwest Government Center, 7219 Dixie Highway; 502-574-1272
The following documents must be presented at the time of the LIHEAP appointment:
- Picture ID for head of household (if available)
- Proof of all household income (all members) for the preceding month (food stamp award letter, Social Security award letter, pay stubs, etc.). If there is no income in the household, please complete a “Proof of No Income” form prior to applying for benefits. (Available at the LIHEAP office at 810 Barret or by clicking here)
- Social Security card(s) or official documentation with Social Security numbers or Permanent Resident Card Numbers for everyone living in the household.
- Most recent heating bill or verification from landlord that heating expenses are included in the rent (i.e. lease agreements).
- Documentation showing the amount of your utility allowance check and proof that it has been credited on your utility bill (if applicable.)
Benefits provided by this program are paid directly to the applicant’s heating vendor.
Individuals who are unable to apply for this program in person may send a representative on their behalf with a note including the applicant’s signature and phone number. Call 574-1157 for more details on how this process works. Residents who are homebound and who are unable to send a representative may call 574-1274.