Includes $9 per student credit hour tuition increase for in-state students
VERSAILLES, Ky. (June 10, 2016) — The Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS) Board of Regents approved the 2016-22 KCTCS Strategic Plan and a $9 per student credit hour tuition increase for in-state students during its quarterly meeting today at Maysville Community and Technical College. The tuition rate follows the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education’s (CPE) tuition setting guidelines.
The planning process began in 2015 by collecting input from stakeholders throughout the state through a statewide vision survey and listening sessions at all KCTCS colleges and the KCTCS system office. More than 4,000 community members, business leaders, students and employees participated in activities to envision the future of KCTCS. Additionally, statewide Innovation Roundtables funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation were conducted to further refine the strategic plan vision, values and goals. These roundtable sessions were held in each of Kentucky’s nine economic regions with key community and economic development stakeholders.
The 2016-22 KCTCS Strategic Plan goals are:
- Raise the level of educational attainment in the commonwealth by positioning KCTCS as the accessible, affordable and relevant postsecondary education choice for Kentuckians.
- Increase the access and success for all KCTCS students, particularly among traditionally underserved populations.
- Develop clear pathways through all levels of postsecondary education with an emphasis on experiential learning that lead to successful employment outcomes for KCTCS graduates.
- Improve student engagement, support, experiences, and success with best-in-class academic and student services.
- Align programs and curricula with needs of employers that enhance the employability, job placement and career development of KCTCS graduates.
The board also approved an increase in the in-state tuition rate for the 2016-17 academic year from $147 to $156 per student credit hour.Out-of-state tuition rates approved include a $312 per credit hour rate for out-of-state students from counties contiguous to Kentucky and $546 for all other out-of-state students.
Additionally, the board approved:
- A 2016-17 operating budget of $839,607,200, which is a $48.5 million reduction from the prior year and an $89.1 million reduction since 2013-14. The budget does not include any salary increases for faculty and staff.
Approved 19,231 academic credential requests (associate degrees, diplomas and certificates), including:
- 1,160 candidates for diplomas
- 6,229 candidates for associate degrees
- 11,842 candidates for certificates
The next meeting of the KCTCS Board of Regents will be September 15-16 at Ashland Community and Technical College.