RICHMOND, Ky. (July 29, 2016) — Law enforcement officers from 16 agencies across the commonwealth were recognized today for completing the Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training’s Academy of Police Supervision.
APS, also called the sergeant’s academy, is a three-week, 122-hour training program targeted for newly promoted sergeants or officers who are on their agency’s promotion list to become sergeants.
While in APS, students participate in classes focusing on the role of a supervisor, leadership, resolving conflict, managing diversity, monitoring officer performance, professional image, legal issues for supervisors, ethics, interpersonal communication, effective written communication, making decisions, solving problems, managing critical incidents, public speaking, emotional survival, budgeting, media relations and others.
The graduating class is the 66th to complete APS since the program began in 2003.
APS is a stepping stone to DOCJT’s Kentucky Leadership Institute, which consists of a series of three progressive leadership courses aimed at developing and shaping future and current leaders in law enforcement agencies across the commonwealth.
APS Class 66 graduates and their agencies are:
- Sgt. Bryan W. Bogard, Covington Police Department
- Cpl. Jeremy S. Broshears, Henderson Police Department
- Sgt. Richard A. Burgess, Trigg County Sheriff’s Office
- Sgt. Kelly L. Cable, Shelbyville Police Department
- Sgt. Ray Chumbler, III, Marshall County Sheriff’s Office
- Sgt. James Dragoo, Christian County Sheriff’s Office
- Sgt. Charles W. Drummond, Franklin Police Department
- Cpl. Tyler B. Free, Daviess County Sheriff’s Office
- Sgt. Jason M. Gray, Covington Police Department
- Sgt. Steven W. Healey, Louisville Metro Police Department
- Sgt. Becky A. Hill, Mount Washington Police Department
- Sgt. Dan Kelty, Mount Washington Police Department
- Sgt. Michael D. Kiskaden, Cynthiana Police Department
- Sgt. Robert Perry, Bowling Green Police Department
- Lt. Ramon Pineiroa, Nelson County Sheriff’s Office
- Sgt. Katherine Holly Rogers, Louisville Metro Police Department
- Cpl. Christy Strucke, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport Police Department
- Sgt. Devin L. Thomas, Richmond Police Department
- Sgt. Ryan C. Walenga, Henderson Police Department
- Cpl. James E. Whitaker, Hazard Police Department