Competition Thursday in Cleveland
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Sept. 12, 2016) — Antonio Zabala, chef at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa in Lexington, is one of eight chefs competing Thursday in Cleveland in the Eastern Midwest Regional Finals of Marriott’s inaugural Farm-to-Fork “Cooksmart Culinary Challenge.”
The competition is a culmination of hotel-level cook-offs held across the region over the summer. Chefs will be asked to pick two protein-based ingredients from a basket along with fresh produce and grains and prepare a meal in just 30 minutes. Dishes will be critiqued based on originality, technique, textures and balance of flavor combinations.
The winner of the Eastern Midwest Region Finals will compete against the winner of the Western Midwest Regional Finals to earn the official title of “Cooksmart Champion”.
Eastern Midwest region winners:
- James Cordray, Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, Detroit
- Eric Kepler, Detroit Marriott, Troy, Mich.
- Holly May, Kingsgate Marriott Conference Center at the University of Cincinnati
- Juan Carlos Olivares, The Dearborn Inn, A Marriott Hotel, Dearborn, Mich.
- Jason Potts, Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel, Columbus
- egan Ristau, Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center, Cleveland
- Gina Snyder, AMP 150 at the Cleveland Airport Marriott, Cleveland
- Antonio Zabala, Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa, Lexington