15 programs receive funding
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Oct. 21, 2016) — The Kentucky Agricultural Development Board approved $2,021,595 for 15 agricultural diversification and rural development programs at its monthly board meeting.
- Hill View Farms Meats, LLC was approved for $7,000 in Daviess County funds to expand the newly created Hill View Farms Meat on-farm market. Funds will be used to purchase a commercial freezer, refrigerator, ice cream freezer and other equipment.
- Little Hickory Farms was approved for $9,000 in Daviess County funds. The funds will be used to upgrade the horse barn with stalls, a tack room and other facility improvements in addition to grounds improvements.
- Owensboro Farmers Market, Inc. was approved for $69,563 in Daviess County funds and $163,502 in State funds to construct a permanent farmers market facility with a commercial kitchen.
- Nine County Agricultural Investment Programs (CAIP) were approved by the board totaling $1,746,983 for Barren ($250,000), Caldwell ($58,633), Carter ($136,836), Christian ($175,000), Fleming ($296,368), Laurel ($210,000), Powell ($48,365), Pulaski ($300,000) and Robertson ($271,781) counties. CAIP offers 10 investment areas that give Kentucky agricultural producers the ability to increase net farm income, add value to their products and diversify their operation. CAIP benefits and enhances agriculture across the state by stimulating markets for Kentucky agricultural products.
- The Deceased Farm Animal Removal Program serves as a measure to facilitate the coordination of environmentally sound and cost effective disposal of deceased livestock for Kentucky producers. Two Deceased Farm Animal Removal Programs totaling $13,547 were approved by the board for Hardin ($7,500) and Spencer ($6,047) counties.
- One Shared-use Equipment Program totaling $12,000 was approved by the board for Powell County. The Shared-use Equipment Program assists broad-based community organizations on the purchase of farm equipment. The equipment purchased is made available for producer use in a specific county on a leased basis