Home » Fort Knox to stop accepting driver’s licenses as ID from non-military visitors

Fort Knox to stop accepting driver’s licenses as ID from non-military visitors

Ky. not in compliance with REAL ID Act

FORT KNOX, Ky. (Jan. 13, 2017) — Since Kentucky is not in compliance with the REAL ID Act and has not been granted a renewed extension, the state will be subject to REAL ID enforcement beginning Jan. 30, states Fort Knox. By law federal agencies, including Fort Knox, will not accept for official purposes driver’s licenses and state ID cards from Kentucky and other noncompliant states.

A valid military ID may still be used as a primary credential to enter Fort Knox. Additionally, no further action will be required for visitors who have already obtained installation entry passes until their passes have expired.

Visitors from noncompliant states who cannot provide supplemental documentation must be escorted by a Department of Defense-credentialed person at all times while on the installation.

Once Kentucky achieves REAL ID Act compliance or receives an extension, the need for supplemental documentation for Kentucky residents will no longer be a requirement.

The act requires residents of noncompliant states to present one of the following forms of supplemental documentation in order to gain access to Fort Knox:

  • U.S. passport or U.S. passport card
  • PIV-I card (personnel identification verification-interoperable) issued by the federal government
  • U.S. military ID (All members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including retirees and dependent ID card holders and veterans
  • Veteran health identification card issued by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
  • DHS “trusted traveler” cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • License to Carry/Carry Concealed Dead-ly Weapon permit containing a photograph.
  • Transportation worker identification card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card
  • Driver’s license issued by the U.S. Department of State
  • Border crossing card
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship (Form-550)
  • Permanent resident card/alien registration receipt card (Form I-551)
  • Foreign passport with a temporary (I-551) stamp or temporary (I-551) printed notation on a machine readable immigrant visa
  • U.S. refugee travel document to other travel document of evidence of immigration status issued by the DHS containing a photograph (permit to re-enter form I-327 and Refugee Travel Document Form I-571)
  • Employment authorization document that contains a photograph issued by the DHS (Form I-766) – in case of nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing same name as passport and containing an endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status, as long as the endorsement has not expired and proposed employment is not in conflict with restrictions or limitations identified on the form.
  • Identification card issued by federal, state or local government agencies provided it contains a photograph and biographic information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address.
  • U.S. military or draft record (Certified copy of DD Form 214)
  • Native American tribal document
  • Foreign government issued passport with current arrival-departure records (INS Form 94) bearing names as the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of an aliens nonimmigrant status, it that status authorizes the alien to work for the employer
  • Select university, library or school cards containing a photograph, name and expiration date
  • Nongovernment photo identification with a person’s name and address
  • Birth certificate or document with a person’s full name and address
  • Utility bill or other documentation showing a person’s name and address
  • Vehicle registration with name and address