23 weeks of training
RICHMOND, Ky. (March 17, 2017) — Thirty-two law enforcement officers from agencies across the state graduated today from basic training at the Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training.
The graduates of Class 480 completed 23 weeks of training, which consisted of 923 hours of recruit-level instruction. Major training areas included homeland security, law offenses and procedures, vehicle operations, firearms, investigations, first aid and CPR, patrol procedures, orientation for new law enforcement families and the mechanics of arrest, restraint and control.
Basic training is mandatory for Kentucky law enforcement officers to comply with the state’s Peace Officer Professional Standards Act of 1998. The Department of Criminal Justice Training provides basic training for city and county police officers, sheriffs’ deputies, university police, airport police and others.
The agency also provides in-service and leadership training for Kentucky law enforcement officers and public safety dispatch training.
The Department of Criminal Justice Training is a state agency located on Eastern Kentucky University’s campus. The agency is the first in the nation to be accredited under the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies’ public safety training program designation. DOCJT also earned accreditation through the International Association for Continuing Education and Training in 2013 – making it the nation’s only law enforcement training academy to achieve dual accreditation by two independent accrediting organizations.
Class 480 graduates and their agencies are:
- Nathan R. Balk, Nicholasville Police Department
- Spencer H. Beam, Boyd County Sheriff’s Office
- Shelby L. Becknell, Nicholasville Police Department
- Travis M. Bogue, Fulton Police Department
- Corey D. Bradley, Catlettsburg Police Department
- Ronald Bright, Lebanon Police Department
- Justin T. Conley, Fleming County Sheriff’s Office
- Douglas J. Handlon, Edgewood Police Department
- Seth A. Hatfield, Catlettsburg Police Department
- Anthony J. Kenner, Kenton County Sheriff’s Office
- Dwayne A. Lane, Murray Police Department
- Alyssa B. Lelm, Murray Police Department
- Patrick A. Leslie, University of KY Police Department
- Joseph R. Lewis, Lebanon Police Department
- Kenneth E. Lovelace, Cincinnati/N. KY International Airport Police Department
- Jason T. Maxey, Glasgow Police Department
- Matthew W. Raabe, Covington Police Department
- Chad M. Ray, University of KY Police Department
- Zachary Richerson, Lebanon Police Department
- Anthony J. Ruggiero, Nicholasville Police Department
- Mark Sparks, Lewis County Sheriff’s Office
- Christian D. Squires, Georgetown Police Department
- Laura Steiner, Henderson Police Department
- Adam K. Strine Jr., Independence Police Department
- Tyler D. Swikert, Cincinnati/N. KY International Airport Police Department
- Trever G. Thompson, Scottsville Police Department
- Zachery H. Travis, Nicholasville Police Department
- Anthony C. Treller, Newport Police Department
- Trista Tyson, Murray Police Department
- Kyle G. Washburn, Shelby County Sheriff’s Office
- Stanley Williams Jr., University of KY Police Department
- Wesley T. Wright, Murray Police Department