LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Sept. 18, 2017) — The CEO of one of Louisville’s family-run companies is the latest recipient of the highest honor bestowed by the University of Louisville Alumni Association.
Bruce Henderson, co-owner, chairman and chief executive officer of Henderson Services, is the 2017 Alumnus of the Year. Henderson will be honored at the annual Wilson Wyatt Alumni Awards ceremony in October.
The Wilson Wyatt Alumni Awards recognize prominent graduates who have earned distinction in their careers and been exemplary ambassadors for the university. Along with Henderson, the Alumni Association selects 13 Alumni Fellows representing UofL schools, colleges and units. New this year are awards honoring alumni from University Libraries and Student Affairs.
“The accomplishments of this year’s awardees exemplify the impact UofL graduates have locally, nationally and globally,” said Josh Hawkins, assistant vice president of the Alumni Association. “We are excited to honor Bruce and our 13 alumni fellows because of their countless contributions to both the university and their respective communities.”
Henderson Services is an electrical contracting construction firm that began in Louisville in 1919. Henderson, a third-generation owner, has been leading the company since 1979. He graduated from UofL with both his bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering and his master of engineering in electrical engineering in 1973.
He is a longtime supporter of UofL, serving on numerous boards and committees including the Board of Overseers, Speed School Industrial Board of Advisors, Speed School Electrical and Computer Engineering Board of Advisors, Pediatric Advisory Board, Athletic Association Board and the Alumni Association Board.
Henderson and the Alumni Fellows will be recognized at an event 6 p.m., Oct. 12, at the Galt House Hotel. Attendees may register here. Winners of the 2017 alumni fellows’ awards are:
· Gary C. Ball, School of Dentistry, 1978
· Louis and Louise Bornwasser, Student Affairs Legacy Award
· Claudia A. Corcoran, College of Education and Human Development, 1979
· Kenneth Crawford, II, College of Arts and Sciences, 1987
· Natasha DeJarnett, School of Public Health & Information Sciences, 2009, 2013
· Jennifer Doyle, School of Nursing, 1998
· John P. Gearhart, School of Medicine, 1975
· Marshall L. Matz, School of Law, 1971
· Guy and Libbye Montgomery, UofL Libraries
· Rosalyn Taylor O’Neale, Kent School of Social Work, 1981
· Julio Racine, School of Music, 1975
· William J. Ready, College of Business, 2001
· Timothy Reilly, School of Engineering, 1986