ERLANGER, Ky. (Oct. 18, 2017) – The U.S. Department of Transportation released its average airfare ranking report for second quarter 2017. The Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport is now the lowest fare airport in the region. Among the top 100 U.S. domestic airports, CVG ranked #69, the best ranking achieved by CVG since the report was first published in 1995.
Overall, airfares at CVG have dropped 16 of the last 17 quarters dating back to 2Q of 2013. In those four years, fares have dropped approximately 37 percent, and passengers are paying $200 less per ticket.
“CVG is proud to now be the lowest fare airport in the Tri-State region,” said Candace McGraw, chief executive officer, CVG. “Passengers are paying on average $200 less per ticket than they were four years ago. Our community has responded very positively, proven by our passenger volumes growing more than 70 percent over the last four years.”
Below is a summary of the report as it relates to CVG:
- CVG average fare ranked #69 compared to #40 in 2Q 2016, an improvement of 29 positions
- CVG average fare of $342 decreased 13% compared to $385 in 2Q 2016. National average fares decreased only 0.9%. CVG’s percentage decrease was nearly 13 times better than national average.
- CVG ranked #69 – average fare $342
- Indianapolis ranked #63 – average fare $354
- Columbus (CMH) ranked #50 – average fare $369
- Dayton (DAY) ranked #28 – average fare $401
- Louisville (SDF) ranked #15 – average fare $433
- Lexington (LEX) ranked #14 – average fare $433
In 2017, CVG has launched eight new routes (San Diego, San Francisco, New York City, Miami, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Denver, Chicago, Baltimore/Washington), and announced an additional eight domestic routes (Providence/Boston, San Jose, Los Angeles, Austin, San Antonio, Jacksonville, Raleigh/Durham x2), and new international service with WOW Air, all that will start later this year and in spring 2018.
CVG offers more nonstop destinations than any airport in the region, including direct international service to Paris, Toronto, Cancun, Montego Bay and Punta Cana. The airport is also one of the three global super-hubs for DHL, a top 10 cargo airport in North America and is recognized globally as a leading U.S. airport by SkyTrax World Airport Awards. CVG is the only airport in the country to receive Safety Act Designation and Certification from the Department of Homeland Security, giving the airport the highest level of protections under the Act.
For more information visit CVGairport.com.