Lexington, Ky. — A new Regional Driver Licensing Office will open in Lexington, this opening will help expand access to REAL ID-compliant licenses and identification cards. Gov. Andy Beshear (D) announced the new office today, the latest in a network of regional offices under the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC). It will serve as the only in-person driver licensing application site in Fayette County, meaning everyone in need of REAL ID’s, standard driver’s licenses, permits and ID cards or renewals will apply at the new office.
“The opening of the Lexington office is a giant step in our successful reopening plan to safely restore access to government operations that serve Kentuckians,” said Beshear. “Located in the second-most populated city, the gradual expansion of services at this new office will address the most in-demand needs for Kentuckians who rely on these trusted credentials for travel and business needs.”
Services at the Lexington office will be limited at first, but residents can request the following:
- Replacement of a lost license, permit or identification card;
- License or personal ID card for employment;
- Replacement of a valid out-of-state credential for new residents;
- License for a new applicant who completed Kentucky State Police driver testing;
- Renewal of a credential that expired before March 18, 2020, when license and permit expiration dates were automatically extended for 90 days by emergency order; and
- Cardholders whose licenses expire in the month of July 2020.
The two previous Fayette Circuit Court Clerk’s driver licensing offices are closed; however, it is still accepting license renewals requests by mail until July 31.
Driver’s license and personal ID issuance in Kentucky will shift from circuit court clerks offices as issuance sites to KYTC regional driver licensing offices over the next two years. This is a result of House Bill 453 passed during the 2020 Kentucky General Assembly.
Lexington’s new KYTC office is located at 141 Leestown Center Way, Suite 125, and will be open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Customers are encouraged to make appointments, and employees will adhere to Healthy at Work standards.