LOUISVILLE, Ky. — APRON Inc. provides emergency financial relief to food and beverage industry professionals working at locally owned establishments. In the last two months, APRON Inc. has provided more assistance to more workers than ever before.
In an effort to continue supporting Louisville’s food and beverage professionals, an idea was born: a weekly Louisville “Chef in a Box.”
Each week, up to 50 people will be able to purchase a Chef in a Box for $50. Participating restaurants will be responsible for one week of “boxes” which are really re-usable bags. The bag will be a tasting selection of the restaurant’s specialties, a favorite dish, a recipe card, a gift card encouraging another visit or even promotional swag (T-shirts, hats, stickers).
There will be no financial commitment for the eatery: Apron Inc. will be providing the bags. To help cover the costs associated with this program, $25 from each box will go directly to the restaurant and another $25 will go to support APRON Inc.’s efforts in “serving those who serve you.” Apron encourages restaurants to include a gift certificate, coupon, or promotional material in each box, so that guests return another time for take-out or dine-in.
How it works:
- Chefs commit to a week and devise menu and or swag to go in the bag
- Restaurants communicate with Chef in a Box about what will be offered. The public contacts the restaurant directly to place their CIAB order via ONLINE or PHONE
- Restaurants add their signature box to their online menu (available for pick-up on Wednesday and Thursday of their week – and will add Optimal Pickup Times – example: between 2 p.m.-7 p.m.) for $50
- Chef in a Box and restaurants promote the restaurant
- After the Restaurants week — they give APRON $25 for each box sold and they keep $25
- We have chefs booked all the way through Dec. 2020 – Chef Josh Moore of Volare was the Aug. 5 – First Chef to Come out of the Box, and he SOLD OUT!
Apron Inc encourages the public to support your local restaurant scene while tasting some of the best food Louisville chefs have to offer.
On Aug. 5, APRON Inc. introduced a weekly Louisville Chef in a Box to aid the local restaurant community during times of need. Each week, pick up a tasting from an acclaimed local restaurant, packed conveniently, to enjoy at home. Each Chef in a Box will could contain a signature dish, a possible gift certificate, promotional swag, or even a possible “surprise” in a box. The Box will cost $50; half of the proceeds will go to support the restaurant, and half to support APRON Inc.’s efforts.
“Chef in a Box” is in memory of chef Dean Corbett and his constant commitment to the local restaurant community and non-profit organizations as well as being one of the founding fathers of Apron Inc.
Chef in the Box Q&A
- How do I order the Box? You call the Featured Restaurant Directly for that week.
- When Do I call? You can place your order starting the Friday prior to the Restaurant of interest
- Is it Pickup or Delivery? Each Restaurant makes that decision but usually Curbside Pickup Only
- How much are the Boxes? $50
- How many Boxes does each Restaurant Sell Weekly? 50 Boxes
For more information or to purchase your first Chef in a Box, please visit aproninc.org.
APRON Inc. was created in 2011 to provide financial relief to food & beverage industry workers in the Louisville, Ky. metro area. The applicants must work at locally owned establishments who are in need during times of crises. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, APRON Inc. has aided more local workers than ever before.