(CENTRAL KY. MARKET REVIEW) — As you might expect in the Horse Capital of the World, Central Kentucky has lots of horses, but there are hundreds of other exciting attractions — things to do, see and experience. To help visitors narrow it down, VisitLex has compiled this VisitLex Top 10 list of Central Kentucky experiences.
1. Taste bourbon straight from the source and tour a world-renowned bourbon distillery. In Lexington, visit the James E. Pepper, Alltech Town Branch or Barrel House distilleries. There’s also Buffalo Trace and Castle & Key in Frankfort; Four Roses and Wild Turkey in Lawrenceburg; and Woodford Reserve in Versailles. Learn more about bourbon tourism on page 32.
3. Dine at some of the best restaurants in the South. Find what you’re craving using VisitLex’s Beyond Grits online restaurant finder.
4. Sip craft on the Brewgrass Trail. Central Kentucky is not only a great bourbon destination. We have master brewers, too. Craft breweries are now scattered across Central Kentucky, and thirsty travelers are seeking out small craft brewers and locally made beers. The Brewgrass Trail is dedicated to showcasing the craft breweries in the area. Pick up a Brewgrass Trail Passport at any of the participating breweries, or at the Lexington Visitors Center.
5. Shop at one of the area’s unique stores or head to The Summit for luxury shopping. Learn more at visitlex.com/things-to-do/shopping.
6. Order a cocktail at Bluegrass Tavern—with more than 800 distinct bottles they have the largest bourbon collection in Kentucky.
7. Head to the Distillery District, a hotspot for food, drink and entertainment.
8. Learn about Lexington’s rich history on a Historic Homes of Lexington Tour, including Gratz Park, Hopemont and Mary Todd Lincoln House. There’s also the Lexington Cemetery and the historic Kentucky Theater.
9. Take a drive on a Bluegrass Country Driving Tour or enjoy a stroll on the Lexington Walking Tour—maps are available at the Visitors Center.
10. Complete the Lexington Mural Challenge, a scavenger hunt to find the 30-plus murals scattered throughout Lexington.
The Lexington Convention and Visitors Bureau (VisitLEX) markets the Bluegrass Region as an outstanding destination for leisure travel, business travel, meetings and conventions, and works to provide quality service to these visitors. Learn more at visitlex.com.
Click the image below to see the full story, photos and advertiser messages.