From 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Jan. 14, 2015) — The city of Lexington is partnering with the Bluegrass Waste Alliance Transfer Station to offer an opportunity for Fayette County residents to drop off household waste for free. The event will be held from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday at the Transfer Station located at 1505 Old Frankfort Pike.
Normally, it costs residents $63.53 per ton to dispose of household waste per the Bluegrass Waste Alliance Transfer Station gate rate for the general public. However, residents may drop off up to one pickup truck load of bagged household waste and up to four off-the-rim tires for free at this event.
This is for non-hazardous household waste only and does not include hazardous materials such as pesticides, motor oil or paint. Residents may take latex paint to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore at 451 Southland Drive. Residents are asked to contact the ReStore at (859) 252-2224 prior to taking paint there.
Appliances will also not be accepted at the event, but may be taken to Environmental Recycling, Inc. at 3899 Winchester Rd.
Electronic devices, such as computers, printers, cell phones, microwave ovens and televisions may be taken to the E-waste recycling facility at 1306 Versailles Road.
The guidelines for the free disposal day are:
- Participants must have a valid Fayette County drivers’ license
- All loads must be level with the bed of the truck
- All loads must be covered by a tarp
- Only household waste will be accepted
- No more than four tires will be accepted and they must be off the rim
- No tire rims will be accepted
- No appliances will be accepted
- No commercial vehicles allowed
- No hazardous materials or free-flowing liquids
The city offers free disposal days four times a year: January, April, July and October, usually on the third Saturday of these months. For more information call LexCall at 3-1-1 or 425-2255. For more information on recycling opportunities in Lexington visit www.lexingtonky.gov/recycle.