Seven workshops scheduled in February, March and April
FLORENCE, Ky. (Feb. 2, 2016) — Gateway Community and Technical College’s business department is offering free tax preparation workshops at its Urban Metro and Boone campuses. Instructor Barb Rice and students who have passed the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) will help students and community members file taxes free of charge.
Volunteers will provide basic assistance to taxpayers preparing 2015 taxes by demonstrating how to use myfreetaxes.com, which supports households with incomes under $62,000. Taxpayers may file online at the workshop, or the website can be accessed from anywhere with an Internet connection, both at no charge.
Workshops will held at the Boone Campus in the CAM building room from noon to 2 p.m. on Feb. 27 and at the Urban Metro Campus in the Two Rivers building room 101 from 9-11 a.m. on Feb. 3, 17, March 2, 16 and April 6, 13.
Participants should have:
- A valid e-mail address
- Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification (ITIN) for each family member and working adult
- 1095-A if tax credit from the healthcare.gov marketplace received
- Childcare provider name, address and tax ID if applicable
- Bank routing and account numbers for checking and savings account if qualified for refund via secure direct deposit
- Last year’s tax return
- W2 form(s) and a valid ID (driver’s license number required for all licensed drivers)
- Self-employment and income interest earned (if applicable)
- Other income including income of household members
- Expenses (tuition, student loan interest paid out of pocket)
- Any statement mailed for tax purposes (SSA, 1099, etc.)
Volunteers are trained to handle basic returns and assist with completing FAFSA and applying for state benefits. No appointments are necessary. These events are co-sponsored by myfreetaxes.com and the United Way.
For more information, contact Shellie Baker at [email protected] or 859.442.1111.