43,000 bottled beverages consumed at least year’s games
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (March 22, 2016) — Months of preparation have taken place as the KFC Yum! Center readies for 40,000 fans and hundreds of players, staff, coaches and media members to descend on the arena for the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball South Regional.
The first game will be at 7:10 p.m. Thursday when No. 3 seed Miami (27-7) against No. 2 seed Villanova. In the second game, scheduled for 9:40 p.m., or 30 minutes after the first game, No. 1 seed and the tournament’s overall No. 1 seed Kansas (32-4) plays No. 5 seed Maryland (27-8).
The winners play Sunday for a berth in the Final Four.
Last year’s tourney games at the KFC Yum! Center by the numbers:
- 43,000: Number of fountain sodas and bottled beverages consumed at 2015 NCAA DI Men’s First and Second Rounds
- 10,000: Pounds of recyclable or compostable waste that will be collected at the 2016 South Regional – the weight of an average African elephant
- 5,500: Feet of extension cords used for all NCAA data and electricity needs – long enough to stretch from the KFC Yum! Center to Louisville Slugger Field and back
- 5,266: Number of hot dogs consumed at 2015 tournament, the height of two Empire State Buildings
- 1,000: NCAA coffee cups ordered for media, administrators and coaching staff to use during tournament weekend
- 400: Cases of drinks for players and coaching staff
- 300: Number of credentialed media from across the U.S. that will cover the NCAA tournament
- 260: Number of bench towels ordered for tournament games and practices
- 256: Number of 200lb panels that make up the NCAA basketball court, requiring 4 people to move each piece
- 176: Number of hours the three-person KFC Yum! Center IT team spent setting up the arena to meet the needs of the media and coaches
- 60: NCAA and team logo stickers placed in each of four locker rooms
- 11: Number of months spent planning for the 2016 tournament
- 6: Hours of national television and radio coverage