American Wine Society will name winners on Thursday
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (March 23, 2016) — The Kentucky Derby Festival Wine Competition will crown the winners of the best wines in Kentucky and Indiana on Thursday at The Ice House in Louisville.
Members of the American Wine Society will judge the best vino from wineries as part of the Derby Festival’s annual Kentucky Proud WineFest event. This year 119 wine varietals from 11 Kentucky and Indiana wineries will participate in the competition. They will be judged in one of several different categories: White or Red Native American, Hybrid or Vinifera, Non–Grape or Dessert wine.
The judging panel is composed of 12 experts who will use their experience to score the wines based on appearance, bouquet, taste/texture, aftertaste and overall impression. Since the wines are judged on a points scale it is possible to have multiple gold, silver and bronze winners in a given category.
- Chrisman Mill — Nicholasville
- Forest Edge Winery — Shepherdsville
- Grimes Mill Winery — Lexington
- Huber’s Winery — Starlight, Ind.
- Purple Toad Winery — Paducah
- Old 502 Winery — Louisville
- Prodigy Vineyards and Winery — Frankfort
- Rising Sons Home Farm Winery — Lawrenceburg
- Rose Hill Farm Winery —Erlanger
- StoneBrook Winery- Melbourne
- Wight-Meyer Vineyards & Winery — Shepherdsville