Completed 23 weeks of training
RICHMOND, Ky. (April 29, 2016) — Twenty-five law enforcement officers from agencies across the state graduated from basic training Friday at the Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training.
The graduates of Class 472 completed 23 weeks of training, which consisted of 923 hours of recruit-level instruction. Major training areas included homeland security, law offenses and procedures, vehicle operations, firearms, investigations, first aid and CPR, patrol procedures, orientation for new law enforcement families and the mechanics of arrest, restraint and control.
Basic training is mandatory for Kentucky law enforcement officers to comply with the state’s Peace Officer Professional Standards Act of 1998. The Department of Criminal Justice Training provides basic training for city and county police officers, sheriffs’ deputies, university police, airport police and others.
The agency also provides in-service and leadership training for Kentucky law enforcement officers and public safety dispatch training.
The Department of Criminal Justice Training is a state agency located on Eastern Kentucky University’s campus. The agency is the first in the nation to be accredited under the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies’ public safety training program designation. DOCJT also earned accreditation through the International Association for Continuing Education and Training in 2013 – making it the nation’s only law enforcement training academy to achieve dual accreditation by two independent accrediting organizations.
Class 472 graduates and their agencies are:
- Cody D. Brewer, Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
- Joshua L. Brown, Frankfort Police Department
- Eric W. Burdon, Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
- Brian J. Carnes, Boone County Sheriff’s Office
- Alex J. Coomes, Daviess County Sheriff’s Office
- Donald R. Hayes, Jr., Owensboro Police Department
- Timothy Jeffries, Williamsburg Police Department
- Ryan J. Jones, Covington Police Department
- Zachary M. Kaiser, Boone County Sheriff’s Office
- Thomas G. Kinman, Bowling Green Police Department
- Demetrius Wayne Lindsey, Frankfort Police Department
- Mark Lusk, Owensboro Police Department
- Jacob P. McBee, Ft. Mitchell Police Department
- Michael McKeown, Elizabethtown Police Department
- Amanda J. Neal, Corbin Police Department
- Casey M. Peach, Owensboro Police Department
- Douglas E. Poynter, Danville Police Department
- Brent Rose, Wayne County Sheriff’s Office
- Joshua L. Simpson, Shepherdsville Police Department
- Logan R. Stempien, Madisonville Police Department
- Matthew R. Surface, Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
- Jonathon D. Thompson, Berea Police Department
- Jered Tyler Todd, Martin County Sheriff’s Office
- Bradley Shawn Tucker, Wayne County Sheriff’s Office
- Adam I. Wilson, Danville Police Department