Assignments for one year
LEXINGTON, Ky. (June 21, 2016) — The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission (KHRC) announced today the committee structure and members for the upcoming fiscal year, July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017. Some committees are established by statute or regulation and others are ad-hoc.
The nine committees, along with members, are:
- The Rules Committee reviews the regulatory structure of the KHRC and makes recommendations regarding regulations governing the racing industry. Mark Simendinger will serve as chairman; committee members include J. Gatewood Bell Jr., John Forgy, Gerald W. Holt and Bret Jones,
- The Safety and Welfare Committee advises the KHRC on matters pertaining to the health, safety and welfare of all human and equine participants in horse racing in Kentucky. Patrick A. Day will serve as chairman; committee members include Dr. Stuart E. Brown II, Douglas A. Hendrickson, Bret Jones and Daisy Phipps Pulito.
- The Race Dates Committee reviews the racetrack and simulcast facility license applications and race date requests and makes a recommendation to the KHRC. Franklin S. Kling, Jr. will serve as chairman; committee members include J. Gatewood Bell Jr., Kerry T. Cauthen, Bret Jones, Dr. Foster Northrop, John C. Roach and Mark Simendinger.
- The Wagering Integrity Working Group investigates wagering integrity and security issues and makes recommendations to the KHRC. Franklin S. Kling, Jr., will serve as chairman; members include Chuck Grubbs, Mike Maloney, Dr. J. David Richardson and Mike Ziegler.
- The Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund Advisory Committee advises and assists the KHRC in the supplemental purse program funded by a portion of the pari-mutuel tax. Pursuant to KRS 230.400, the members elect a chair annually. Members include Dan Bork, representing Ellis Park; Douglas A. Hendrickson, representing KHRC; Bill Landes, representing Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders (KTOB); Dr. J. David Richardson, representing KTOB; and, Pete Salmen, representing the Kentucky Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association (KyHBPA).
- Kentucky Thoroughbred Breeders’ Incentive Fund Advisory Committee advises, assists and makes recommendations to the commission regarding 810 KAR 1:070. Pursuant to 810 KAR 1:070, the members elect a chair annually. Members include Dr. Stuart E. Brown II, Kerry T. Cauthen, Douglas A. Hendrickson, Neil Howard and Matthew Koch.
- Kentucky Standardbred Development Fund & Kentucky Standardbred Breeders’ Incentive Fund Advisory Panel advises, assists and makes recommendations to the Commission in the administration of the Kentucky Sire Stakes pursuant to 811 KAR 1:215. Kenneth A. Jackson will serve as chairman; members include Joe Costa, representing The Red Mile; Ben Robards, representing a nominated stallion; Steve Stewart, representing Kentucky Harness Horsemen’s Association (KHHA) and Art Zubrod, representing a breeder organization.
- Kentucky Horse Breeders’ Incentive Fund Advisory Committee advises, assists and makes recommendations to the commission pursuant to 811 KAR 2:120. Kiki Courtelis will serve as chair; members include Sarah Coleman and Frank Penn, representing the Kentucky Equine Education Project (KEEP).
- License Review Committee, pursuant to 810 KAR 1:025, is composed of commissioners and staff members who review license applications that require more detailed scrutiny and background research than a routine application. Kenneth A. Jackson will serve as chairman; members include Chris Clark, Marc A. Guilfoil, Lesley Howard and Steve May (steward designee).