2011 TVA settlement results in $11.2 million over 5 years
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Jan. 30, 2012) – The Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet announced that it is seeking proposals from qualified entities to receive funding for projects that fall under the 2011 settlement agreement between the Environmental Protection Agency and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). The settlement requires TVA to invest in new and upgraded state-of-the-art pollution controls that will reduce pollution, save energy and protect public health and the environment. More information on the settlement can be found at www.epa.gov.
As part of the settlement, Kentucky will receive $11.2 million over a five-year period to implement environmental mitigation projects. The cabinet is seeking proposals involving renewable energy and energy efficient applications that can include the following type projects:
• Purchase and installation of photo-voltaic cells and/or solar thermal systems on buildings;
• Projects to conserve energy in new and existing buildings, manufacturing facilities, mobile homes, modular buildings, including efficient lighting, appliance efficiency improvement projects, and weatherization projects;
• Funding of agricultural and forestry sector use and production of renewable energy and carbon sequestration;
• Implementation of projects to improve energy efficiency or renewable energy projects at water treatment and wastewater treatment plants; and
• Projects that implement or expand smart grid technologies.
Projects that install cogeneration units (wherein a single fuel source simultaneously produces electricity and useful heat) at industrial manufacturing plants or institutions such as universities, hospitals, prisons and military bases.
Eligible applicants include:
• Secondary and post-secondary educational institutions (public and private)
• State, local and county governments
• Commercial/ industrial entities, including manufacturers and industrial developers
• Area Development Districts
• Community Action Agencies
• Electric co-ops
• Municipal electric utilities
• Nonprofit organizations
The Request for Proposal can be found at energy.ky.gov, and questions regarding the RFP can be submitted electronically to Paul Brooks at pa[email protected] until Feb. 23, 2012, at 4:30 p.m. Eastern time.
One original proposal and three copies must be submitted by mail to Donna Jones, Energy and Environment Cabinet, 500 Mero St., 12th floor Capital Plaza Tower, Frankfort, KY 40601 by close of business on March 19, 2012. Electronic or facsimile proposals will not be accepted.
Contracts awarded will be posted at eprocurement.ky.gov.