Special events planned
FRANKFORT, Ky. (May 12, 2016) — Five Kentucky state parks will have special events on May 21 to celebrate Kids to Parks Day, a day devoted to outdoor play, organized by the National Park Trust.
- Blue Licks Battlefield State Resort Park, Mount Olivet — Blue Licks Park will offer free admission for children to the Pioneer Museum. The park also offers five walking trails and miniature golf. Hours of operation for the Pioneer Museum are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information call the park at 859-289-5507.
- Buckhorn Lake State Resort Park, Buckhorn — Buckhorn Lake Park will host special events, including Scott Shupe with reptiles at 7:30 p.m. on May 20. On Saturday, there will be birding, a hike engaging all the senses, kite flying, historical games and toys, an obstacle course, fishing, and a walk listening to night sounds. For more information call the park at 606-398-7510.
- Columbus-Belmont State Park, Columbus — Columbus-Belmont State Park will offer free mini golf all day long and a nature hike and organic gardening at 11 a.m. There will be a magician performance at 2 p.m. For information call the park at 270-677-2327 or email [email protected]
- Pine Mountain State Resort Park, Pineville — Pine Mountain State Resort Park will celebrate with special events, starting with a hike at 10:30 a.m. (registration required). Other events include tye-dye shirt making, a bird trivia contest, and a wildlife program at 5 p.m. There are fees for some of these programs. For more information contact Beth Byrnes at 606-337-3066 or by email at [email protected]
- Wickliffe Mounds State Historic Site, Wickliffe — Wickliffe Mounds will offer free admission for children on May 21. Families will be able to enjoy the trails, museum, picnic areas, scavenger hunt with prizes and games set up around the grounds from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Children must be accompanied by adult with paid admission: $5 adults, $4 seniors and military/veterans. For more information call the park at 270-335-3681 or email [email protected]