LOUISVILLE, Ky. (July 23, 2018) — This weekend’s storms produced tornadoes, hail, flash floods and heavy rains. As residents begin to evaluate damage that may have occurred, BBB wants to remind consumers to beware of storm chasers around the area.
Local consumers have reported companies knocking on their doors just hours after the storms had passed to help fix the damage. Before you sign a contract and hand over your money, BBB has some tips to help you avoid a scam.
- Check your insurance. Talk with your insurance agent to find out about your coverage and filing requirements. Make sure to save copies of your receipts.
- Ask BBB. Visit bbb.org or call (502) 583-6546 to find out a company’s BBB Business Profile. This information includes the BBB rating, contact information, BBB customer complaints, and more.
- Get quotes in writing. Try to get at least 3-4 quotes in writing. Be wary of any quote that seems unusually low or high compared to the others.
- Check for licensure. Business must be licensed. Contact the Revenue Commission at (502) 574-4860 to check out a company’s licensure.
- Get a copy of the contract. Make sure to get a copy of your contract. Read over it carefully and ask questions on anything you do not understand. The contract should detail all the work, costs, pay schedule and projected completion date. The contract should also state who will obtain the proper permits.
- Don’t pay the full amount upfront. If a company demands full payment up front, stay away.
- Beware of accepted payment methods. Watch out for businesses that only want cash. Pay by a credit card or check whenever possible.