LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Oct. 11, 2012) — Humana Inc. has entered into an exclusive agreement with Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), the nation’s largest organization of war veterans as well as the oldest major veterans’ organization in the U.S. As part of this agreement, Humana becomes the exclusive national Medicare Advantage (MA) plan carrier for VFW.
Humana can now market MA health plans to the organization’s 700,000+ members and their spouses who are eligible for Medicare, and provide guidance for those who will be aging into Medicare.
Humana Veterans, a subsidiary of Humana Inc., is headquartered in Louisville, Ky. The company was formed in 2007 to develop solutions to veterans’ healthcare issues.
“Veterans’ health and wellness concerns continue to remain a top priority for VFW,” said Bob Greene, VFW Quartermaster General. “Through this agreement with Humana we will be able to make quality health care more accessible and affordable to our valued members.”
As part of the agreement Humana will offer numerous services to VFW members, which will provide better access to health information. These will include:
– Hosting Medicare seminars during the upcoming Medicare Annual Election Period (Oct. 15 through Dec. 7).
– Conducting educational seminars throughout the year to inform VFW members of all their Medicare options.
– Providing VFW members with Humana’s unique access to Medicare Advantage information and enrollment capabilities by incorporating web-based tools, in-home appointments, call centers, educational seminars, and self-enrollment.
Humana Veterans efforts span a variety of initiatives that support veterans, including:
– Making significant progress on its pledge to hire 1,000 military veterans and/or their spouses by late 2014. Humana has hired approximately 800-plus veterans and/or their spouses since August of 2011.
– Building a partnership with the MilSpouse eMentor program, which provides advice and support to military families through mentor relationships.
– Donating $1 million to the Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities, a national program that offers cutting-edge training in entrepreneurship and small-business management at no cost to post-9/11 veterans.