SHELBYVILLE, Ky. — Dozens of tourism organizations located in Shelby County and affected by COVID-19 may apply for financial assistance through a new program established by the ShelbyKY Tourism Commission and Visitors Bureau Board.
Launching May 1, the ShelbyKY Assistance Program is designed to provide local tourism organizations experiencing financial challenges due to COVID-19 with financial assistance for marketing efforts. Applications will be accepted by ShelbyKY Tourism from May 1 – June 15, 2020.
The program offers financial assistance in the form of reimbursement of up to $1,000. “As a Shelby County native and resident, I am proud that the board and staff of ShelbyKY Tourism Commission and Visitors Bureau created this platform to support businesses affected by COVID-19 in ShelbyKY,” said ShelbyKY Tourism Board Chairman Ray Tucker. “The assistance will make a difference in retaining businesses and jobs, as well as reducing the risk of vacancies in our community. It is an honor to be part of the process to help local businesses move forward on solid footing.”
The May 1 launch of the assistance program is significant as National Travel and Tourism Week (NTTW) is May 3 – 9. “Since the in-person events that have been the hallmark of National Travel and Tourism Week in years past are not an option this year, ShelbyKY Tourism is looking to engage the community by supporting local partners,” adds ShelbyKY Tourism Interim CEO Chenelle McGee. “There’s no doubt this has been an incredibly challenging time for ShelbyKY. We see NTTW as an opportunity to remind our community of the incredible spirit and resiliency of the travel industry and our workforce.”
To apply for the ShelbyKY Assistance Program, applicants must:
- Be an existing commercial enterprise and have an existing occupational license with the City of Shelbyville or Simpsonville.
- Be classified within the industry sectors of Accommodation and Food Services or other appropriate sectors as determined by the ShelbyKY Tourism Board.
- Keep regular operating hours that are equal to or greater than 25 hours per week.
- Be in good standing with the ShelbyKY Tourism Commission and Visitors Bureau Taxes.
- It is recommended that the applicant work with the Shelby County Chamber of Commerce or Kentucky Small Business Development Center on business coaching, contingency planning and accessing federal disaster loans.
- Important to note – submission of an application is not a guarantee of funding.
Specific marketing efforts eligible for reimbursement include:
- Print and Digital Publications
- Video or photograph efforts
- Digital advertisements (to include social media)
- Brochure Distribution Services
- Web Site expenses
Ineligible Expenses include: Capital expenses (brick and mortar), personnel costs and production or activities shall not include obscene materials and shall not negatively impact the economy or the tourism industry of the Commonwealth.
To apply: Applications may be accessed online are reviewed on a rolling basis and must have the required attachments in order to be considered. Applications must be approved and signed to be considered for reimbursement. Applications may be e-mailed to [email protected] from May 1 – June 15. Again, submission of an application is not a guarantee of funding.
ShelbyKY Tourism Commission receives funding from transient room tax and restaurant tax, which is then used for promotion of tourism activities in ShelbyKY and the surrounding area. For more information, contact ShelbyKY Tourism at (502) 633-6388.