Georgetown, Lexington schools recognized for environmental efforts
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Aug. 7, 2014) — Representatives of the U.S. Department of Education are coming to central Kentucky Aug. 20-21 to tour five schools that have achieved the national Green Ribbon Schools designation for their environmental efforts. The schools on the tour are Northern Elementary and Georgetown Middle schools in Georgetown and Rosa Parks Elementary, Wellington Elementary and Locust Trace AgriScience Farm in Lexington. The tour is open to the public.
- reducing environmental impact and costs;
- improving the health and wellness of schools, students and staff; and
- providing environmental education among many disciplines, and especially incorporating Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM), civic skills and green career pathways.
Wellington Elementary received the designation in 2014, Northern Elementary and Locust Trace AgriScience Farm in 2013, and Rosa Parks Elementary and Georgetown Middle in 2012.
Pre-registration is required by Aug. 19 for the Listening Session, a panel and community discussion about healthy schools and high achieving students. The Listening Session will be held on Aug. 20 from 2:30–4 p.m. at 2348 Innovation Drive in Lexington.
Following the panel discussion from 4–5 p.m., everyone is invited to tour the headquarters of Big Ass Solutions, which builds large-scale components for high-efficiency schools. Company leadership and the public will discuss connections between workforce development and STEM skills. To register for the Listening Session, e-mail[email protected].
The tour is the result of a partnership including the Kentucky Environmental Education Council, the U.S. Department of Education, Kentucky Department of Education, Kentucky School Boards Association, Kentucky National Energy Education Development Project, Kentucky U.S. Green Building Council, Kentucky Association of Manufacturers, and honorees of the U.S. Green Ribbon Schools Program.
Wednesday, Aug. 20
- Scott County Schools: 10–11:15 a.m., Tour Northern Elementary School at 3600 Cincinnati Road, Georgetown.
- 11:45 a.m.–1 p.m., Tour Georgetown Middle School at 730 S Hamilton St, Georgetown.
- 2:30–4 p.m., Listening Session, Big Ass Solutions headquarters at 2348 Innovation Drive, Lexington, *RSVP to [email protected]
- 4–5 p.m., Headquarters Tour and STEM/workforce development discussion
Thursday, Aug. 21
- Fayette County Schools
- 9:30–10:45 a.m., Tour Rosa Parks Elementary at 1251 Beaumont Centre Lane, Lexington.
- 11:15 a.m.–12:30 p.m., Tour Wellington Elementary School at 3280 Keithshire Way, Lexington.
- 1 p.m.–2:15 p.m., Tour Locust Trace AgriScience Farm at 3591 Leestown Road, Lexington.