For Fayette, Bourbon, Harrison, and Nicholas counties
LIHEAP will provide a benefit to eligible households to assist with their energy costs with a disconnect notice or a heating crisis. Last year more than 7,500 participants received financial assistance and emergency services totaling approximately $1.5 million from the LIHEAP Crisis program. In total Community Action Council served more than 14,000 households and spent more than $2.2 million in energy assistance through several programs including WinterCare, LIHEAP, Community Services Block Grant and its Emergency Services Fund.
Eligibility for the LIHEAP Crisis benefit is determined by income, household size, fuel type, and the following criteria:
- The household is within four (4) days of running out of fuel, if bulk fuel (coal, fuel oil, propane, kerosene, or wood) is the heat source;
- The household has received a past due or disconnect notice if natural gas or electric is the heat source; or
- The household’s home heating costs are included as an undesignated portion of the rent, and the household has received an eviction notice for non-payment of rent from the landlord.
To apply provide the following:
- Proof of income for the previous month for all adults 18 and over in the household
- The most recent heating bill or an eviction notice and verification from landlord that heating costs are included in rent
- Birth dates of all household members
- Proof of Social Security Number or Permanent Resident card for each member of the household.
For all bulk fuels (wood, coal, propane, fuel oil, kerosene) verification of a crisis situation may be by self-declaration by the applicant, which is subject to an on-site determination by Community Action Council. For natural gas and electric heated households, the applicant must have a pending or disconnect notice or their services are disconnected. Households must also be at or below 130 percent of federal poverty guidelines.
Community Action Council locations are:
- 913 Georgetown Street, Lexington (859) 244-2215
- 1317 Centre Pkwy., Lexington (859) 273-6395
- 1902 Cambridge Drive, Lexington (859) 246-1192
- 1169 Winburn Drive, Lexington (859) 294-5249
- 520 Toner Street, Lexington (859) 554-4350
- 1414 South Main Street, Millersburg (859) 987-5277
- 1113 Main Street, Paris (859) 484-3860
- 216 Old Lair Road, Cynthiana (859) 234-2121
- 149 Scrubgrass Road, Carlisle (859) 289-7172
For more information contact Community Action Council:
- Lexington at (859) 233-4600
- Paris at (859) 987-5277
- Cynthiana at (859) 234-2121
- Carlisle at (859) 289-7172
- Toll Free at 800-244-2275
You can help keep the heat on in someone’s home this winter by contributing to the Council’s local energy funds. Donations are accepted by check, money order, or, in person at any of our locations across Lexington-Fayette, Bourbon, Harrison, and Nicholas counties. Donations are also accepted on your utility bill by donating to the WINTERCARE Energy fund. Checks should be payable to Community Action Council. Please indicate that the donation is for energy assistance. Please mail donations to: Community Action Council, P.O. Box 11610, Lexington, KY 40576.
Donations are 100 percent tax-deductible.