For allegations associated with former employee hiring escorts for recruits
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Feb. 5, 2016) — The University of Louisville announced today a self-imposed one-year postseason ban on its men’s basketball team, multiple news outlets are reporting.
The ban was imposed based on allegations from a book released last year that from 2010 to 2014 former Louisville director of basketball operations Andre McGee provided escorts for recruits. The NCAA has been conducting an investigation into the allegations.
Five recruits told ESPN in October that McGree hired strippers to attend parties on campus and often paid them to have sex with players.
Coach Rick Pitino has denied knowing anything about the allegations.
UofL President James Ramsey told reporters: “I determined that it was reasonable to conclude that violations had occurred in the men’s basketball program in the past. While this was a difficult decision, I believe it was made in the best interest of the University of Louisville.”
Louisville is currently 18-4 and ranked 19th. The Cardinals host Boston College at noon on Saturday. Earlier this week UofL beat No. 2 North Carolina 71-65.