Tips to conserve water
FRANKFORT, Ky. (April 28, 2015) — Gov. Steve Beshear has proclaimed May 3-9 as Drinking Water Week in Kentucky to recognize the importance of source water protection and conservation, as well as the value, importance and fragility of our state’s water resources.
Kentuckians can conserve water by following a few simple actions both inside and outside the home:
- Check for leaks in toilets and pipes.
- Run full loads in clothing and dishwashing machines.
- Keep drinking water cooling in the refrigerator.
- Replace old showerheads with high-efficiency models.
- Mulch bushes and trees to retain moisture.
- Check for hose and nozzle leaks.
- Water early or late when temperatures are low to reduce evaporation.
- Recycle rainwater with barrels and buckets for watering plants.
- Plant water and drought-tolerant plants to reduce the need to water.