Program provides meals for area youth
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Nov. 11, 2015) — A partnership between Dare To Care and Louisville Metro Parks and Recreation that has provided 125,000 meals to youths across Louisville is expanding to an 11th location.
Starting Nov. 16, meals will be provided to youths ages 18 and younger at the Shawnee Arts and Cultural Center, 607 S. 37th St., from 5-6 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays.
The partnership between Metro Parks and Dare To Care began last year, when the Kids Café was offered through six community centers. Two more—at Beechmont and South Louisville—were added in September, and the new location at Shawnee is the latest site.
In addition to providing a hot, nutritious meal to young people in a safe environment, the community centers offer each child the opportunity to participate in academic and extracurricular activities
The meals are provided at no cost to kids, and no proof of income is required.
“Providing a safe place for young people in the communities we serve to have a healthy meal is important. It’s equally important to provide them with a place to study or play a game of basketball after school,” assistant director of Recreation Ben Johnson said. “Programs like Kids Café can be successful in helping kids get on the right path to be successful later in life.”
Metro Parks Kids Café sites:
- 1125 Cedar Street, 40203, 502-574-2670 — Serving: Monday-Thursday, 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- 205 W. Wellington Avenue, 40214, 502-361-5484 — Serving: Monday-Thursday, 5-5:30 p.m.
- 1600 W. St. Catherine Street, 40210, 502-574-2658 — Serving: Monday-Thursday, 5-6 p.m.
- 4810 Exeter Avenue, 40218, 502-456-8122 — Serving: Monday-Friday 4:30-5:30
1703 S. 13th St., 40210, 502-637-3044 —Serving: Monday-Friday 5-6 p.m.
- 640 N. 27th Street, 40212, 502-776-0913 — Serving: Monday-Friday 5-6 p.m
- 607 S. 37th Street, 40211, 502-775-5268 — Serving: Monday-Thursday 5-6 p.m.
- 600 E. Oak Street, 40203, 502-574-1780 — Serving: Monday-Friday 5-6 p.m.
- 2911 Taylor Blvd., 40208, 502-574-3208 — Serving: Monday-Friday 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- 3621 Southern Avenue, 40211, 502-574-6598 — Serving: Monday-Friday 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- 6505 Bethany Lane, 40272, 502-937-8802 — Serving: Tuesday-Thursday 5-6 p.m.